Chapter 1

My brother, Daniel, and I are... different. We are special, per say. Our parents don't know about it. I try to hide it to keep Daniel safe, but it's hard to do with the temper he has. It always gets him in trouble.

I am the opposite, I try to keep peace. I'm quiet and stay in the dark when it comes to trouble, but Daniel is loud and energetic and gets more involved rather than staying away from it.

He just won't listen when I warn him that one day someone will find out about us if we don't lay low and avoid using our powers. No one has to know.

"But we could be superheros! We can save people!" He'd argue. Saving people? Superheroes? We can barely control ourselves as it is. What if our powers are used for bad? Someone could take advantage of us and trick us into doing something we shouldn't.

I can't take that chance.

Never mind the scientists who'd want to examine us, poking and prodding at our weaknesses and strengths. Perhaps, they've already have with other people like us. If there even is any. But for whatever reason, I can never shake the feeling that we aren't alone.

*

With the house empty, Daniel and I make our own lunches.

"My juice box is warm!" Daniel complains.

"I wonder why?" I say sarcastically as I grab his drink. "Control, Daniel, control," I remind him. He rolls his eyes and leans against the fake marble counter top expectantly.

"Can you cool it for me? Pleeeeaaase??" Daniel pouts and flashes me his puppy dog eyes. I sigh and clasp my hands around the small box,  watching as it becomes decorated in a thin layer of frost. I hand it back to him and he quickly tosses it in his lunch box to avoid melting it like he does with almost everything else.

Daniel first discovered his powers after a crayon completely liquefied in his hands within seconds at the age of five. After that, he began practicing by setting paper on fire outside and secretly warming up the elememtrary school furnace on winter days when no one was watching. He didn't tell me until a few weeks afterwards and I then realized why he never wore a coat outside. I'm the only one besides him that knows his power. He's now ten and his powers are still present but not well reserved.

I first discovered my powers when I was five as well. I froze the window shut in my room, but my parents thought it was just because of the weather outside. Before then, I was constantly cold. My hands were always freezing and I didn't mind at all. When it's too hot outside, I become light headed which comes as an excuse to why I never leave the house on sweltering afternoons.

But when I figured out my power- my power to freeze things- I didn't practice it. I was scared of who I was and tried to deny it. Luckily for Daniel, he knew about my power before his and he didn't feel as scared because he wasn't the only one.

I was alone at one point and I felt like a monster.