Chapter 12

Daniel runs up to the swings, a panicked looks spread across his face.

“I saw somebody in the woods!” I quickly stood up and scanned my eyes across the park, finally I spotted a figure. Maybe it was a man walking his dog, but it couldn’t be, it’s too late at night.

“Go get everyone!” I ordered as I saw more figures appear beneath the trees. I recognized one in the pale moonlight, one of the men that had kidnapped us.

“They’re here,” Nathan’s face went pale, “Everyone, get back here!” Olivia, Jason, and Jake all came running to us, but I didn’t see Daniel.

“Daniel!” I screamed, Daniel’s face popped up from behind the rockwall, his expression terrified. He started getting pulled away, then I saw a person had snatched him. Daniel acts quickly and slams his extremely hot hand against the man’s back but it didn’t affect him. Daniel looked up at me, confused. I felt the same. Why wasn’t his powers working on the person? It looked like a man from his body structure.

Jake came up to bat and placed his hands on the ground, roots started to uprise and fling the bad guys around. One root came up right in front of the man that had Daniel hoisted over his shoulder. He stopped, abruptly, and turned and glared at Jake, his face cold and a scar slashed against his cheek. Then her turned back forward and reached out for the root, snapping it onto two before Jake could react.

Jake let out a yell and toppled over on his side, he felt the root snap.

“IZZY!” Daniel screamed helplessly. I tried running after him but Nathan held me back.

“It’s too dangerous!” He gripped my arm tightly while I cried, “The man’s immune to our powers, Izzy! We’ll get Daniel back, I promise.” He tried to reassure me but nothing would make me calm.

“Everybody huddle!” We all crowded together, my tears seemed to drown out all of what was happening and soon the tears became frost. “Jake, make a cage out of roots!”

“But that’ll trap us!” Jake tried to explain.

“Just do it!” Jake set his hands on the ground and roots started to create bar-like structures.

“Nathan, we’re gonna get caught! We’re stuck here, what are you doing?!” I yelled.

“Trust me,” Nathan looked me straight in the eyes, I could see the desperateness in his face. I nodded.

The cage was finished but Jake still had to keep his hands on the ground. The men had reached us and were pulling at the roots, causing Jake to whince.

“I hoped I didn’t have to do this,” Nathan said and grabbed my hand.

The blue and white haze started to illuminate off of Nathan and shined through his eyes. He squeezed his eyes shut in pain and his whole body tensed up. His knees wobbled and he moved his hand to my shoulder. The ground started to tremble around us and the trees shook uncontrollably. A ringing sound filled my ears and everything else seemed to fade. Nathan’s yells mixed with the rings and the sound were unbearable. I squeezed my eyes shut.

Then it all stopped.

-----
Be prepared bc there's gonna be some angst comin your way   -A