Chapter 4

The day progressed and my morning came to an end.

One minute left of 4th hour, one minute, then lunch.

Today went surprisingly slow. I saw Nathan in most of my classes and I was surprised, I'd never noticed him much before.

During lunch, I sat next to Olivia. All she had for lunch was a cup of water, but that's more of a liquid than a food. She insisted that she was full but I didn't believe her.

We have a choice of staying indoors or going outside if we finish lunch early. I threw away my tray and headed outside, today is more of a cool day and I don't want to be stuck in the loud cafeteria.

Few kids were outside, some were tossing a football and others just talked to each other given it was free time for them. I don't know what to do with my free time.

I saw a tree in the distance, one I have never noticed before. Its leaves have a crimson color and the dark trunks roots digged into the ground. It looks magical.

I walked towards it under the bright sun, the shade of the tree engulfed me and I looked back at the school. The tree is quite a ways away from the school, but that doesn't matter. Maybe I can freeze some grass to pass the time.

The trunk of the tree is wide and thick, almost the size of me, I wouldn't be able to hug it all if I tried. I peered around the other side and found a boy sitting down at the base, he didn't see me. I don't know who this is, I've never seen him before.

He sat quietly, his hands flat on the dirt. I heard him take a deep breath, it heaved his shoulders up and down.

All around him grew green plants that instantly bloomed into bright colorful flowers. He lifted one of his hands and picked a flower, then regrew it in the same spot with his other hand. I gasped a little too loudly at the scene, his head snapped towards me. He has brown hair and beautiful green eyes which were now opened wide.

"W-who are you!?" He asked quickly standing up and wiping his hands on his pants, he obviously was startled.

"That's amazing," I held my mouth ajar and stepped towards him.

"W-what are you talking about?" He stepped back. "Were you watching me??"

"No, you don't understand- hey, it's ok." I tried to comfort the panicking boy. He stepped back more and tripped on his own feet.

"Y-you didn't see anything," He tried to convince me. He looks so powerless on the ground, I shook my head. Should I tell him about my power? Wait, the voice in my head was right, Daniel and I aren't the only ones! That means we aren't the only ones with powers! Excitement filled my body, should I tell this boy about our powers?

"I won't tell anybody," I slowly stepped towards him, he shuffled on the ground and back up more.

"L-leave," He wrapped his arms around his legs and put his head down, maybe he thought if he couldn't see me, I couldn't see him. I slowly sat next to him and tapped his shoulder, he didn't move.

"What's your name?" I asked, maybe if I ask him about other things rather than his power to grow plants, he would answer me back? His head slowly lifted, only about an inch, and glanced up at me.

"Jake..." He said softly. I nodded my head,

"My name is Izzy," He slowly unwrapped his arms from his legs and look straight at me.

"Are you like me?" He asked, I considered telling him, should I?

"Yes," I said reluctantly, I don't care if he knows, he's like me. I held my hand out and let frost cover it, tiny bursts of snow shot from my hand towards the leaves above us and covered part of the leaves. He giggled and set his hand on the ground, the tree began to shake and shake, soon it shook off all the ice.

"I thought I was the only one," He said sadly. "I thought I was a monster, for all my life."

I felt bad for him, living all his life without anyone else like him. The confusion he must have felt, I began to feel even more lucky to have Daniel as my brother.

"I did too," I smiled. "But I had a brother like me, his power fire instead of ice."

"I thought it was more of a curse instead of a power," He muttered. I thought about this for a moment, was it a curse? It currently doesn't feel like it. I shrugged, he smiled and set his hands on the ground, helping himself get up. Grass and flowers grew as he stood, he looked full to the rim of happiness for finding another person like him.

But the voice in my head kept repeating itself, even after meeting Jake; You are not alone.