Chapter 5

Jake had given me his number to keep contact and blushed while doing so. What a doof. He wondered if there were more people like us.

Jake is actually a really nice kid, he's my age; 13 and received his powers at age 5 like Daniel and I. Jake's super excited to meet Daniel, I explained to him that once you get to know Daniel the whole having-fire-as-a-superpower thing doesn't really mean that he's mean or anything because Daniel is super nice and a great person to be around.

I told Jake a little about my life. How I first discovered my power, how scared I felt. Then I explained how Daniel knew about my powers when we were younger and how he discovered his. I told him that Daniel and I were the only ones who knew, but now it's him that knows as well.

Jake listened to everything I said carefully, taking note of everything in his head. He isn't much of a talker, but observes everything.

He told me about his life as well and kicked stones on the ground as he did so. He use to live on a farm, a big one which he said explains his love for nature. There wasn't much to do around there, he said, and I spent my days exploring or coloring flowers and trees.

The farm burned down, a wildfire had spread through the forest behind their farm acres and burned all the crops in the fields and eventually made it to the barn. He held back tears as he explained this. Then the fire finally reached his house, his family was sleeping but Jake said that he felt the pain of the crops being burned, the trees being torched. He said it was almost like they were screaming for mercy.

At this point I hugged him, not wanting to let go in fear that he might disappear from sight and I would be left here, having imagined the whole thing.

He continued, after he awoke to the plants endless cries that filled his ears, he ran for his family but the fire had already reached the house and he was scared and confused. He ran out of the house stopped at the dirt road, looking back at the house.

"That was when I realized I had made a huge mistake," He sobbed out and I hugged the friggin life out of him. I told him it's OK and that he didn't need to go any further. "What was your brother's power?" He sniffled.

"Fire," I said looking at the ground.

"I see," Jake set his hand against the tree and made one of the low hanging branches tap my shoulder. I smiled. "I hope he's nice." I grinned wide, thankful that Jake is giving Daniel a chance.

Jake finished his story, skipping the fire part obviously, and told me he was sent to an orphanage but was eventually adopted and came to live here in Collierville, Tennessee.

Before we could talk any longer, the bell interrupted us. I rolled my eyes... I have social studies next. I love learning about the past but America's past doesn't interest me that much. Jake looked at me and smiled, his kind eyes glistening in the sun shine.

"Thank you," He said. I hugged him and watched as he ran towards the doors not wanting to be late for his next class. I walked towards the doors, still happy that I met Jake.

* * *

Social Studies went by slowly.

"What was the year World War II started in America?" Mrs. Susan questioned the class. I glanced up at her from the seat I was leaning comfortably in. And of course, she called on me.

"Isabella."

Izzy, I corrected her in my head.

"Do you know the answer?"

"Umm, 1940?"

"No, Nathan?" I glanced back at Nathan who I never noticed in this class... again.

"1941," He muttered. "After the Japanese invaded Pearl Harbor." But instead of looking out the window, he looked right at me while Mrs. Susan kept talking. He smiled, the second time I've ever seen him smile.

Keep looking, said a voice in my head. I was startled by the sudden thought and looked back at the front of the room. Keep looking for them.

* * *

The bell rang and 5th hour ended. I walked to the door, stopping to let other people through, even Mrs. Susan left the room. It was only Nathan and I in the room. I took a step towards the door and stopped, I looked back at Nathan and walked to him.

"Who are you?" I asked confused, this boy is a mystery. I have noticed him more today than I ever have in the last 4 months.

"I know you are confused," He said in a low whisper, afraid someone might be hiding in the shadows (the non existing shadows) in the classroom listening in on us. "Just, when you find them all, meet me here." He handed me a piece of paper with address for a cafe on 28th street. "Bring them with you, there are 2 more. Keep looking." I widened my eyes and nodded my head. I understood, the last bit he said. It was what the voice in my head was telling me. He picked up his backpack and walked out of the classroom.