Chapter 3

I glide my way through the halls into my homeroom; Science. We're learning about the Periodic table and chemical stuff. I have no idea what else, we just started the unit a day ago. It's something about physical and chemical changes, that's all I remember.

Mr. Novak is seated at his desk and glances up at me through his black rimmed glasses.

"In a hurry, I see," he says, I shake my head.

"Nah, just wanted to get out of that hallway, way too many people," I sigh and take my seat at the front of the class. "It's not the same as middle school, the hallways were way less crowded."

"Well, I'd suspect. High school is quite different from middle school." He sets down his pen and folds his hands together, giving me that look all teachers seem to have perfected.

"Amen," I agree, leaning back in my seat to stare at the ceiling.

"You have your homework done, I presume." I nod and gift him a thumbs up, not taking my gaze off the ceiling. "Good." He picks his pen back up and continues grading papers.

*

First hour begins and I slouch in my chair while listening to Mr. Novak explain what the heck chemical and physical changes are.

"What the heck are chemical and physical changes? When do chemical and physical changes occur?" he asks the class while slowly walking in the front of the room. We wait patiently for someone to answer his question. "Nathan!" He calls out.

All eyes are now on Nathan who is seated closest to the window. Instead of listening, he's gazing out at the sky and tapping his pencil on his desk to a steady beat. "Nathan!" Mr. Novak calls again.

Nathan's eyes stay trained on the sky, the sun is rising more than it was early this morning. His eyes shine brightly and are filled with some sort of wonder.

I feel it. That feeling. The one I always have. It's more noticeable now, stronger. I can almost hear it in my head; You are not alone...

"Mr. Malek!" Mr. Novak makes his way to Nathan's desk and taps it. Nathan snaps his head towards the teacher.

"Huh? Wha?" He glances around, dazed and confused. A few snickers erupt from different parts of the room.

"I had asked you a question. When do chemical and physical changes occur?"

"A chemical change occurs when a chemical reaction takes place and a physical change occurs when the appearance of a substance changes." Nathan simply states. Then he returns his gaze back at the sky. Mr. Novak pulls away from Nathan's desk and glances worriedly at him. He strolls back up to the front of the class.

"Correct. For example, evaporation is a physical change. A gas being produced is a chemical change. Melting is a physical change." I think of Daniel. "Freezing is a physical change." I think of myself. After that, I stop listening. I stare back at Nathan. He's in the same position.

"Miss. Frane." Nathan looks at me when my name is mentioned, he notices I've been staring at him this whole time and he gives me a small smile.

"Miss. Frane." I'm brought back to reality. "Miss. Frane, stop making googly eyes at Nathan and answer my question," I blush deeply and glance at Nathan who still is smiling at me. He turns back to the window. Everyone in the class giggles. "What is the Periodic table?" Mr. Novak asks.

"Uhh..." I don't know the answer, I hear a few chuckles from behind me and my face reddens even more.

"Alice," Mr. Novak asks the smartest person in class. "What is the Periodic table?"

"The Periodic table is a table of the chemical elements," she says matter of factly. I roll my eyes and slump in my chair. Whatever.

*

Science ends and I gather my things together.

"Nathan, can you please come here for a moment?" Mr. Novak questions. Uh oh, Nathan's in trouble.

He nods. The classroom clears but I linger around a bit longer, pretending to look through my backpack.

"Nathan, you need to pay attention, this is my last warning, okay?"

"Okay." Nathan walks back to his desk and slips on his backpack, I do so, too. He passes me. "It's not nice to eavesdrop," he says. Before I can respond with an apology, he's already captured in the sea of people. I sigh and follow.

My next hour is Language arts, my favorite hour.

"Good morning, Mr. Smith!" I smile and sit in my desk towards the front. Somehow, I'm always seated in the front.

"Well, you're chipper this mornin'," Mr. Smith says with his thick british accent. He smiles a wide grin.

"I just love this class," I explain with a shrug. "I love the book we're reading."

"I'm glad to hear that. You know, I met the author," He smirks.

"No way!" I gasp and hold my hand to my chest in disbelief.

"Yes way!" He laughs and sits on the edge of his desk. "Anyway, before I make you fangirl to death, how's your mornin' so far?"

"Good, I guess."

"That's nice, I like your sweater." He motions toward my black sweater with white diamonds on it.

"I like your hair." I point at his  hair.

"Yup, nothin much I can do with it, except maybe flatten it but that wouldn't look good." He scrunches up his nose. "Weeell," He considers. He glances at Nathan who happens to have the same second hour as me.

"There he is again, staring out the window. It's weird, he never reads along with the rest of the class but he always gets a hundred on the book tests. It's like he's reading through osmosis," Mr. Smith rests his head in his hands and looks at Nathan with interest like a scientist that's discovered a new species.

"He looks at the sky like it's the love of his life or something," I comment.

"Maybe he likes flying?" Mr. Smith suggests and stands up to start class. I continue to look at Nathan but I quickly look away when he catches my eye. Who is this kid?