Chapter 14

Chapter 14

How could this be? Is it just a coincidence?

I stare at the car for what seems like forever, my body frozen, everything quiet, hushed like before a storm, a suspenseful moment in a movie where you know you’re gonna get jumpscared. Jason came running up to me.

“Izzy!” He said, breathing heavily, “I think Nathan’s awake!” I run back down into the backyard and kneel next to Nathan.

“Nathan?” I said, shaking him slightly. He responded.

“You aren’t suppose to be here…” His eyes are closed and he can only mumble.

“What?” I asked, pulling my hands away from him.

“You aren’t suppose to be here, Izzy,” He mutters, his eyes are still closed, “You don’t belong in the 4 elements.”

“4…?” I echoed. There’s 6 of us, how can there only be 4? “Well if I don’t then neither do you.”

“That’s where you’re wrong…” He doesn’t say anything after that, and he was still unconscious.

*

“I think I should use my powers to carry him along ground,” Jake suggested. I shook my head no.

“You’re still weak, Jake, I don’t want you to pull something.”

“At least up the slope,” He pleaded, pulling himself up off the ground. I sighed and looked at the slope.

“Fine,” I said, “But if you start to get sore, you let me know.” He nodded and placed his hands onto the ground. Roots started to rise around Nathan and lift him off the ground. Olivia, Jason, and I start to follow Jake as he crawl on the ground up the small knol. When we reached the top, I helped him off the dirt and crowded around Nathan.

“On the count of three, we pick him up,” I said, “1, 2, 3.” We all grunted as we lifted Nathan, he’s heavy. As we stepped off the property, I looked back at the holes that Jake created and remember the time when I was young when my dad was angry about the moles messing up his yard… maybe we had something to do with that.