Chapter 7

Wow. Lots of words (1300+)

The police had arrived and asked questions to witnesses like the people that were driving the cars.

I was just driving and I didn't see the boy, I tried to stop but I knew it was too late but then my car.... It just... stopped, I- I didn't even touch the brakes.

That's what they said, I can't believe it. This is weird. Could Jason have a power? It could be possible, then again it was a one in a million chance. Jason and Olivia were escorted home so the police could speak to their parents and explain what happened.

Daniel and I walked home in silence. The commotion made us miss our bus that was always a few minutes late after the bell rang. I had a feeling Daniel thought the same thing I thought. Maybe he agrees with my theory about Jason.

"Daniel-" I started.

"I know," He looked up at me.

"Do you think-"

"Yeah," He said quietly and looked down again.

"It's impossible isn't it?" I said as we turned the corner onto another busy street.

"I don't know." He shrugged. I haven't told him about Nathan yet, maybe I should tell him. I haven't even told him about Jake!

"Hey, Daniel, I met this boy..." He looked up at me.

"My big sister is growing up so fast!" He joked as he held his hands to his heart. I chuckled slightly and nudged him.

"Nah, not like that," I reassured him, he held his hands to his sides. "He's like us." I said simply. He looked at me confused for a moment then his face lit with realization.

"Wait you mean-"

"Yes." I nodded and turned to him. "He can grow plants, feel their pain, and control them if he tries hard enough." Daniel's eyes widened.

"That's... that's... AWESOME!!" He screeched. I smiled and exclaimed.

"I know, he's so kind as well," I said, then remembered that Jake had given me his phone number. "I have his number!" I pulled the small piece of paper from my pocket.

"Let's call him now!" Daniel exclaimed.

"No, not yet," I put the phone number back into my pocket. "Wait until we get home at least." He gave in and agreed.

"But under one condition," He said, "I get to set fire in front of a spraying can of Air freshener." His lips curled into a devilish grin.

"ARE YOU CRAZY!?" I shouted, some people on the other side of the street looked at us as if I were crazy. Well, we kinda are. "You'll set the house on fire!" I said a bit more quietly.

"Nah," He waved his hand and dismissed the idea of burning our house down. "You can just freeze it in case I do set the house in flames."

"Wow, that's reassuring," I said sarcastically. "Fine."

* * *

After what seemed hours (really only 15 minutes), we reached our house. We climbed up the two stone stairs leading towards the front door. Mom and Dad weren't home yet, they work till later in the evening. I pulled open the screen door and dove into my backpack for the house key. After a few minutes of searching, Daniel asked me, "Where's the key?"

"I could have sworn it was in here, I even saw it in my last hour when I was looking for a pencil," I replied. More minutes passed and I finally gave up.

"You lost it," Daniel sighed, I glared at him and walked off the porch, he followed. I walked around the house to the back slider screen door, thank god it was unlocked. I slipped in and so did Daniel before locking it behind us. We were in the chilled basement, perfect for me but Daniel hardly noticed.

"Come on let's finish our homework, I'll have a lot of explaining to do to mom-" I started but was interrupted by a creak from upstairs. We stiffened, maybe it was just the house settling. Then it happened again, and again. Okay, maybe it wasn't.

"Daniel..." I whispered to him, he nodded and started for the stairs. Then there was a loud bang! sound from above, like a pot was dropped on the ground, it was followed by some cursing and a loud grunt. I widened my eyes and peered at the ceiling, waiting for another sound. None came and I looked back at Daniel, he nodded once more, slipped off his backpack, and crept up the stairs as I followed behind, slipping off my backpack as well.

He slowly turned the doorknob and opened the door and we heard footsteps. I held my breathe and bawled my hands into a fist, ready to fight anyone that tried to throw a single punch or as much step a foot towards us. Daniel seemed to be doing to same with his other hand- the one not holding the doorknob. I could tell because his fists were glowing a bright orange red and his irises looked as if they were glowing red, too.

We slipped through the door and slid against the wall towards the living room, the source of all the noise. Then we heard voices.

"We just have to wait for them to come home, they should come through the front door- then we'll grab them," Explained what sounded like a man. Daniel, who was in front of me, looked at me with wide eyes still glowing red.

They were going to kidnap us?! Daniel mouthed silently. I nodded, they clearly stated that they were going to. I became even more frightened while Daniel's eyes shined brighter than ever and his hands glowed brighter than a torch. He must have been angry. Ashes began to lift from the skin on his hands.

Oh yeah, he was pissed.

He looked ready to burn the stranger's face off with his bare, burning hand. I on the other hand stood frozen, just like my power.

Daniel took a step into view of the man, I pulled him back before he was spotted.

Two men, he mouthed, one with a knife.

I held up three fingers, indicating that we would charge at them unexpectedly when I reached one.

Run for the door, I mouthed.

With one nod I began to count down, mentally and physically preparing myself as I did.

Three.

Daniel leaned forward, ready to spring at them.

Two.

I gulped and leaned as well.

One.

We ran at the same time and sure gave the men a surprise. They looked around panicked as Daniel and I rushed through them towards the door. I tried to open it but it was locked, I unlocked it and was about to run out the door but I was pulled back by one of the men. While trying to slip his grip, I kicked and pried at his surprisingly strong hands. I failed at trying to escape.

Daniel! I thought in panic.

I looked around for him and saw that he was on the back of the other man, trying to burn him long enough to be stunned and he could run. I screamed his name and he looked up and stopped. I continued to kick as he was pulled from the man's shoulders and was pinned to the ground. The man pulled a pair of leather gloves from his pocket and slipped them onto Daniel's hand. The gloves fit on and Daniel was frantically trying to pull them off.

"They won't come off!" He yelled and pulling at the glove. "WHY THE H.ELL WON'T THEY COME OFF!" Frustrated, he tried to stand up fight the man. He extended his hands towards the man and closed his eyes.

Fire didn't explode from his hands, he looked at them confused. The man smirked and tackled Daniel.

"DANIEL!" I screamed. I tried using my powers but before I could the man holding me slapped something on my neck, I instantly felt weary and weak, my eyes fluttered close as I tried to keep them open. My body protested against the pain but started shut down. The last thing I saw was Daniel, a gag was put into his mouth and was being lifted from the ground. I lifted my arm, reaching out for my little brother, but I fell as I tried to stand straight.

"Daniel... Daniel..." I murmured and passed out.