Chapter 18

I don't move, no one does. We just stare at the light, drawn to it like moths. Then they all peer at me expectantly, wanting me to lead them. Nathan's gone and I am the next to acquire the responsibility. I hope Olivia would help me but I seems that she's just as clueless. I open my mouth to speak, but no words come out. If there was danger around every corner and your brother is captured and your friend is dead, what would you do?

"We should head that way," I say uncertainly once more, they all have worried looks on their faces. My head is throbbing and I can't control my emotions. The pain in my head spreads to my eye sockets, making it difficult to see, the darkness of the night doesn't help at all, might I add.

I take a step forward, amazed that my legs still work, even though they've always been. Soon enough, I'm a meter away from where I was standing, I continued on, what's left of my friends follow.

*

I've noticed that I am more observant when there aren't any distractions. In the dark street, there aren't any cars zooming past, late for work or school. There aren't any chattering people, their heads buried in their mobile devices.

Everything is calmer, quieter, and clearer for my mind to process.

But that could always be a bad thing. Everything's darker, creepier, and colder. You can hear the slightest of sounds over the wind. The alleyways between buildings seem longer and skinnier than ever. These are the things I think about when I am walking down the middle of the street, a point where you can get a good look of what is to come. We don't walk quickly or slowly, but cautiously.

As time passes, the street lights fade away and so does the not-so-busy-town. No matter where the heck I'll be, it won't make me feel any better, or maybe it will. I don't even know. This situation is like a movie, or a book, written by an author whose life doesn't involve environmental superpowers but ideas. I wish I was that author, but then again, no. I wouldn't want to put non-existential characters through this much pain.

The beam of light grows brighter as we grow closer. I can feel something, deep within my stomach. At first it felt like nervousness, the kind I feel whenever I have to do a class presentation. But then it continues to build up and up, all the way to Jake's house. By the time we are a street away, I feel as if I want to throw up. I let out a quiet gag caused by reflexes and cover it with a cough, no one seems to notice. Jake starts to run, for some reason. Now we have to chase after him, thanks, Jake.

"This is it," He says. We stand in the middle of the street, just ahead of us is his house. I gaze at the light, it almost looks extraterrestrial, like an alien spacecraft parked right above his home. I suddenly retrieve memories of watching Independence Day with Daniel, it's almost enough to bring a smile to my face, but it doesn't.

"Do we go in?" Jason asks, we stand around expectantly. We've made it this far and we don't have a plan of action. Olivia glances at me and I shrug, I'm tired and I want to sleep, my brain isn't capable of coming up with action movie plans right now, I'm not a screenwriter. Olivia sighs and answers Jason's question.

"I don't think we should, that would be stupid, what if it's a trap? What if there is bad guys in there, trying to capture us like they did with Daniel?" Olivia explains, I nod, fully acknowledging the fact that I couldn't have thought that up.

"Then let's go around the side, the source of the light could be in the backyard," Jake suggests.

"Yeah, and maybe when find the light, we should signal Batman," Jason says dryly, I roll my eyes and ignore him.

"Do you think splitting up is a good idea?" I ask. In all possibility, this can end badly and well. Let me explain each side; 1. We split up and meet each other in one spot, safe and sound or 2. We split up and two of us get captured, then the other two go searching for them and then they get captured as well or just have two more people missing. But there's also the part where we could stick together and get captured with one another or not be able to explore the inside of the house to find clues. None of the scenarios seem good.

"Frankly, we don't have a choice, we don't want to miss any clues, if there is any," Olivia answers, that's what I was thinking!

"I'll go with you," Jason stands next to Olivia, the siblings gather up all of their positivity and give each other a forced smile.

"Izzy and I will take the house, since I know where everything is, you guys can head around towards the back, the gate should be unlocked since I never have a lock on it," Jason and Olivia nod, heading to the side of the suburban house.

"Are you ready?" Jake asks politely.

"Yes." 

[Okay, I lied, the last chapter is next]