Shadowy Seeds

Jorge sighed as he ran his fingers through his short shorn hair. Outside his office set high in the main tower of Dolman's Tor, the bells in Filagorn's Tower, the Church of the Sun's main belfry joyously peeled the news of Urud's death at the end of a hangman's noose. 

 It had been a unanimous vote in the Chamber, something the dark prince hadn't expected for a moment, with the rumblings that had permeated the government body ever since his brother had ascended to the Star of Aramas. But, after long cycles of the Usurper bathing in the blood of the Talemonese, followed by eight cycles of civil war, the people of Talemon had enough. So one of humanity's most hated despots ended his hate-filled life at the end of a knotted rope. And with his death, the Westmarch Rebellion was finally and thankfully over.

No less surprising was Grimnor's trial, held shortly afterward. Fully expecting a similar vote to send the Winter Hawk to the gallows, despite his turn of heart before Jerald's invasion of Ur Morun, Jorge watched instead as a deeply divided Chamber narrowly voted to spare the rebel general. Not only that, but they also voted to return to him full honor and standing as a landed lord of the Aramas. Considering the great effort Grimnor made to keep Jeorgina and the children from falling into the Usurper's hands, Jorge wasn't inclined to dispute the vote. After thanking the Chamber for its efforts, he let the Winter Hawk return to his estates four leagues to the northwest of the city.

Of course the lean former rebel didn't stay there long, returning to the city to watch his former master dangle his black life away. Then, shortly afterward, he renewed his pledge of allegiance to Jeorgina and requested service in the military as thousands of Ge'e Darian appeared out of the west, having abandoned the Westmarch in honor of their commander, requesting repatriation.

With both Bethane and Cadmon pleading Grimnor's case, and knowing the Winter Hawk to be an officer with few peers, Jorge had relented and granted Grimnor a commission in the Talemonese military. Then, as the bells began to ring out news of Urud's death, he sent him marching at the head of his Ge'e Darian to the east, right after each Ge'e Darian bent the knee to Jeorgina and pledged allegiance, to join the efforts in the Peninsula. If Grimnor wanted to be a loyal officer in Talemon's army, he had to prove himself first. And where better to do that, than in the Hammer!

It was the end of a chapter in Talemon's existence. Unfortunately, as the stack of reports on his desk from the eastern front grimly reminded the dark prince, there was still a chapter open beyond the Giant's Teeth where a war was still being fought by valiant Talemonese soldiers against a determined enemy. It was a war that continued to drain scarce resources and draw men and women from the defense of their homeland. So, while one worry was taken care of, another more pressing concern dug in, preparing to be a thorn in his side for quite some time.

Counting reinforcements, supply and tactical units, the bulk of Garth's Western Command was now committed to the ongoing campaign in Hernak, as well as a good chunk of Kent's Central Command. The Fifth, Seventh, Eighth and Ninth Western Divisions now bent their will to the task of pushing Kaphran reinforcements out of southern Hernak and consolidating Talemonese gains in the territory. They were joined by the Second, Third and Fifth Central Divisions, Lord Horst finally relenting and sending the reinforcements Garth had originally requested. Combining with the troops already a-field, and Grimnor's repatriated Ge'e Darian now on their way, that put over 190,000 troops in the Hammer, not counting their support and supply. It was a logistical nightmare, to say the least.

The good news was that Alric's druids were predicting unusually good weather over the rest of spring and summer, promising bumper crops across the Aramas. That should hopefully ease the rationing the monarchy and the Chamber had imposed on Talemon in order to support their soldiers in the field. With bumper crops came better taxes, reducing the strain on the treasury, which was nearly emptied by fighting the Westmarch rebellion.