Dakern

As they stepped out through the door, KeLarion paused just beyond the threshold and turned to watch the door close of its own accord. 'You've held your secrets well,' he silently applauded. 'And you gave your burden to the descendants of your makers. We will now take that burden into the future with us. Wish us well!' That said, he turned and jogged lightly after Halen, who was hastening to join the company where it stood in the heart of the great plaza on whose edge the fortified building stood.

Ciradaan looked down the broad avenue that ran due east through a forest of massive buildings away from them, towards what appeared to be the main gates in the distance.

<<Brax?>> he asked and the big Bear clan elf stepped to his side to look down the avenue as well.

<<They're the main gates, all right,>> the stone elf lord confirmed with a nod after a moment's observation. <<We traversed a good chunk of that avenue when we penetrated into the city. The gates should still be open, unless the trolls have managed to close them to prevent our escape.>>

<<Speaking of which, there's a pretty good chance the Dakern are aware this is the straightest route out of the city's core to the main gates. And that they'll be waiting for us to run their gauntlet,>> Fenoran flatly pointed out.

<<Who are we to disappoint them?>> Ciradaan replied with a grin, which was quickly replaced by a grim look of complete seriousness.

<<I suggest you and all Wolf clan Sylvasin go to their wolf forms, Fenoran, and make hard for the gates. You can then stand to hold the gates for the rest of us, who'll follow at best speed. If we move quickly enough, we should blow past any dark soldiers lying in wait to ambush us and leave them in our wake long enough to find the elftrail and get us out of here!>>

<<A sound plan,>> Brax rumbled with a nod then frowned. <<Although we Lithosin will be bringing up the rear. We're no match for wood elves on foot.>>

<<Perfect, since it'll most likely be trolls pursuing us. As Lithosin are most effective against trolls, you'll provide our rearguard.>>

<<Done, as long as you don't leave us here to rot,>> Korolan interjected, drawing his sword with a steely rasp.

<<You've my word as king that we're all getting out of this place!>> Ciradaan said with a fierce smile and a nod before turning to the wood elves from Aquila.

<<Cloak yourselves, people. We move!>>

With flares of reddish light, the Wolf clan Sylvasin transformed and immediately raced off down the avenue at full speed, their lupine eyes set on the distant gates. In their shadow charged the Eagle clan elves, wraiths wrapped in magical cloaks of near invisibility, a cloud of darkness that moved nearly as quickly as their fleet-footed allies. Behind them, bringing up the rear, came the Bear and Bison clan Lithosin, running as hard and fast as their muscular bodies would allow.

While that was almost as fast as a horse running on open ground, the Lithosin quickly found themselves falling further and further behind. It wasn't long before a full length of space had opened up between the front-running stone elf at the vanguard of their formation and the trailing wood elf at the tail end of the Aquilan formation.

"Kadasa!" Korolan gasped, arms swinging as he churned over the broken paving stones lining the avenue's course. <<Damn wood elves are going to leave us behind!>>

Beside him, Brax stared grimly at the rapidly receding backs of their wolf elf companions, his mouth open as he gasped for breath. It certainly did appear as if the Aquilans and Lusinorans were abandoning them, letting their superior speed and magic carry them to safety. His only comfort was that the two Eagle clan Lithosin, nearly invisible in their shadow cloaks, while faster than his people, were also lagging. They too ran the risk of being left behind.