Nothing to Worry About

Amy entered her dorm and sat down on her bed. She stared onto the floor, knowing she had to face her enemy to aid her or face the apocalypse within a week. The options were slim, but to climb up the Royal Cross—she knew what to do. The advanced student stood up to her wardrobe and pulled out her clothes for the trek into the world, where Kayden resided in exile.

She hasn't been out in the world since her parents left her in the orphanage. Nothing was expected from her adventure except retrieving Kayden. She never understood entertainment or any of the like. The Royal Cross were strict with things like that, and they stood by it—no matter what. Books were written by the Devil, games where distractions created by the Devil, or movies were the ways the Devil speaking to you. Amy respected the rules and she expected others to follow them, which gained her favor with the Elders.

Her room was never cold, since a slight decrease of temperature was very uncomfortable, but she wasn't sure about outside of the mountains or if it's even inhabitable nowadays. The mountains were known for its freezing temperatures and no matter longer how long she stayed there, she just wasn't used to it. She grabbed enough clothes and stuffed them into her bag.

Amy walked out of her dorm and made her way into the armory to load up, especially against someone like Kayden. She's faced Hell's cannon fodder, but never someone capable of possessing its power. All she knew about his was that he used to be a student under the Royal Cross, but no one knew the length of his studies. The only people that knew his capabilities were the Elders themselves.

All she saw in him was betrayal and evil—nothing else.

"Amy Downs?" A voice called out. Amy turned around startled to see a man about her age, a fellow student standing by the door.

"Who's asking?" The star pupil asked.

"I was told to escort you on your mission." The young man said holding two bags. One in each hand. His blue eyes pierced at her with a degree of certainty.

"Great," She scoffed with a sound of pistol hammer clicking, "They leave me to hunt down a demonic psychopath with a no-name. What class are you?"

"I'm a medic class with a rank of 1 in Grade S."

"Oh," Amy fixed her bag of arms, "So you know your way around a possession?"

"I've done a few with no problems." He confidently said without a hint of arrogance. They knew he was picked among countless of recruits for a reason.

"Okay," She sighed, "Does the medic with a rank of 1 in Grade S have a name?"

"Kearney," He replied with a smirk, "Kearney Nielsen."

The pair walked out of the armory to the Elder's meeting room to talk more about what they have in store. The variety of students with passed by them unknowing of what was happening beyond their walls. Their chatter scattered around about what they ate or how the week's training was.

"How much do you know about the job?" Kearney asked under his breath.

"How much do YOU know?" Amy shrugged. She assumed the Elder's left out most of the details due to his standing.

"Just that I'm your backup in case something goes wrong." The medic was oblivious to the fact that he will soon face an opponent that is far stronger than anything that he read about.

"What makes them think something will go wrong?" Amy turned to him.

"Trust me," Her partner chuckled, "Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong."

The halls were cluttered with young Exorcists making their way to their classes or dorms to finish the rest of their day. The pair continued to the meeting room to finish being informed and make it to the city across the mountains. The doors were closed almost in unison while they walked to the other side of the school.

They found the meeting room, which had the exterior doors stained with a cherry oak color to make it stand out and give it the "important" room status. The door was heavy and required at least two hands to pull it out fully. The purpose for it was merely entertaining for the Elders in some sense.

The pair barely spent five minutes inside before being greeted with a booming voice echoing throughout the room.

"Have you sorted your affairs?" The First Elder asked.

"Yes, I am ready to look for the target."

"I see you have already met your partner." The Third Elder chimed in.

"With all due respect, I--" Amy was ready to voice her concerns.

"Your life will not be gambled against such a fiend!" The Fourth Elder said, "You are in capable hands with Mr. Nielsen."

"Yes sir." Amy grunted in defeat. Kearney patted Amy's back as a sign of trying.

"You will be reaching the city of La Vista by helicopter and you'll be based in a small apartment for the next three days while you track down the Hell Walker." The First Elder informed the two students.

"Be extremely cautious." The Second Elder emphasized his words, hoping that they would ingrain themselves into their minds when they arrive in the city. The power that possessed Kayden is one of merciless, blood thirst and something that shouldn't be underestimated.

Amy and Kearney marched to the helipad where their transportation was getting fueled up to leave.

"How are they sure that it'll take us three days to find this guy?" Kearney asked.

"I doubt we'll need that much time." Amy scoffed.

"How can you be so confident?" Kearney smirked at Amy, leaving her scoffing.

"Are you the recruits who'll be going into the city?" The pilot yelled over the loud sound of the helicopter starting up.

"That's right!" Kearney yelled back.

"I was given strict orders to leave you for seventy-two hours," The pilot gave them a stern warning, "If the both of you don't make it at the rendezvous by then."

"You'll leave us?" Kearney joked with a clueless smile.

"Yes." The pilot stared at the pair with a lack of empathy.

"Are you serious?" Kearney wasn't entirely sure on how to take the answer.

"If you don't think you can handle it," Amy continued walking to the helicopter, "You can always turn around."

Kearney bit his tongue and followed Amy up to their ride. The spinning blades continued throwing gusts at them as they climbed aboard with their bags of supplies and other gear. The pair waited for the pilot to finish his inspection before they leave.

The pilot finally completed his inspection and climbed aboard to start lifting the helicopter while the Four Elders meet up outside by the helipad prepared to see them off.

"Do you think they'll survive?" The Third Elder turned to the First.

"Only God will decide." He replied.

Amy couldn't help but look down to the shrinking school. She was calm and collected on the exterior, but inside her fears began to unravel. She was finally on her own with another life in her hands against a possible formidable opponent. Amy didn't want to alert her unsolicited partner about her change in attitude.

"No turning back, right?" Kearney smiled nervously.

"Right." Amy turned to him with a subtle unnerving smirk.