This is chapter seven, right?

The new revelation shocked the pair that the person they were tasked with escorting has been in front of them the whole time. Amy's attitude changed from gratitude to anger as she came to the realization that the traitor insulted her training and rubbed his abilities in their faces.

"So you already knew why we came here?" Kearney said, his attitude never changed. In fact, he saw it as a job well done to know that they were able to find him in under seventy-two hours.

"I'm not a mind reader," Kayden scoffed, "I assume you guys are out to 'exterminate' me."

"No," Amy's voice trembled in anger, "We're here to escort you back to the chapel. The Elders need your help."

"Oh really," Kayden smirked, "Then I'll totally overlook the whole banishment thing."

"Joke all you want," Kearney said, "But if what you're saying is true, then the Elders would want to know about it."

"You guys are a pain in the ass," Kayden walked away, "Follow me."

They walked toward a red Ford Focus, which was how the Hell Walker got to the farmhouse. The Exorcists were trained in combat-based driving, but they've never been inside a civilian car. The buttons and air vents were enough to drive them crazy.

"So you'll help us?" Kearney smiled at Kayden.

"I'll give you some pointers," The exile said, "But after that you two are on your own."

Amy thought he would've been grateful to be able to return to Royal Cross, but she was sure that demons were still inside him, infecting his mind with unholy decisions. This was going to take a lot of convincing on her part to get him to share his findings.

They all got inside the car and drove back to the rural highway that led to the city. La Vista looked like it was already touched by evil from afar, but to Kayden it was his home. The misunderstood city shared the chance Kayden felt he never had—a chance for redemption. He learned quickly to survive in a city capable of sin, but he soon realized that no matter what he was still in a hell.

"Where are we going?" Amy peeked outside of the car window.

"We are going to meet a dear old friend of mine." Kayden focused on the road.

"Can we stop by the apartment first?" Kearney tapped on the window, "I miss sleep."

"No time," Amy lunged toward the front seat, "Who's your friend?"

"An expert on these things," Kayden said, "I've followed Valac's movements for a while and now he's starting to get a bit brave."

"So who was that voice from before?" Kearney leaned in as well, "He had no problem claiming to be the Hell Walker."

"Okay, first, you guys are getting really close to my face," Kayden's said, "It's starting to get uncomfortable."

"Sorry." Kearney whispered as they both sat back in their seats.

"Second," Kayden sighed, "That was Valac's spoiled brat of a son, Zare. We crossed paths more than a few times."

"So what's so special about them?" Amy asked.

"Do they even teach you demonology history there?" Kayden replied with a question of his own, "I'll let my pal explain this to you."

They arrived at a record store where it seemed to sell more drugs than it did albums. Graffiti scrawled the windows and walls of the shop, but it never stopped patrons from happily making their purchases. The trio opened the door, where they were greeted with alternative rock music and the smell of weed. Kayden didn't seem to mind, but he couldn't say the same for his guests. They followed the Hell Walker to the front desk where a man about their age played on his smartphone.

"Can I help you?" The cashier said without looking away from his phone.

"Can I talk to Catherine?" Kayden placed his elbows onto the desk.

"Give me a minute." The cashier walked to the back room.

"Who wants to know?" A young woman's voice scowled at him.

"Some Asian-hybrid looking guy."

"I'm half Hispanic!" Kayden's sudden interruption which gave her an instant answer.

"Well, if it isn't Kayden Yamada," A tattooed woman in her early-twenties stomping onto the linoleum below with her sneakers, "Why haven't you called me?"

"I've been busy." Kayden scratched his head turning away to toss off any form of suspicion.

"Obviously," She said as she stared at Amy with jealousy in her green eyes, "So what did you do now?"

"What?" Kayden nervously smiled, "Why would you think that?"

"Are you seriously asking me that?" Catherine drummed on the desk with her black and pink painted nails.

"He said you can help us with a predicament." Amy joined the conversation.

"Meet me in the back." The shop owner said as she winked at Kayden.

"Old friend?" Kearney tapped Kayden's shoulder with his own.

"Don't ask." The exile sighed.

Amy felt a sense of trepidation exiting the back room—something dark, but soothing. Those two feelings should never be paired, but it felt right and mesmerizing. Was that how sinning felt? Or is this something different altogether?

"So what brings you here?" Catherine smirked as she sat down on a futon crossing her legs in a domineering fashion.

"The Hell Walker said you know about Valac." Amy jumped straight to the point.

Kearney was distracted by the various devices inside the room such as the iPad and some headphones.

"And by Hell Walker, you mean?" Catherine didn't follow Royal Cross code words, and she didn't care to. She was the expert on the occult and didn't need to share her discoveries to people who thought less of her.

"Kayden," Amy clarified, "The traitor."

"Oh, you mean your savior?" Catherine leaned on the edge of the futon.

"How did you possibly--"

"Who do you think locked the barn?"