Welcome Home

The helicopter reached the helipad of the chapel, all in one piece. Everyone kept their emotions to themselves whether good or bad. Amy was ready to accept the praise from the Elders and her peers while Kearney just wanted to get off the helicopter. Kayden clenched his fist at the fact that he returned to the place that abandoned him in the first place, only now as their special guest. The air was frigid and unwelcoming to him. Even though he expected it, it still felt a bit hurtful. The place he once called home turned his back on him and even in their hour of need, their pride was nevertheless inflated.

"Where's the welcoming party?" Kayden broke the silence.

"The Elders are waiting for you in the meeting room." The pilot answered.

"Let's not keep them waiting." Amy climbed down from the helicopter with her gear in tow.

"Yeah," Kayden sighed, "Let's not keep them excited and on the edge of their seats."

The trio walked to the entrance of the chapel where the other Exorcists rushed to their rooms, leaving only the sounds of boots stomping and doors slamming. The halls were just as empty as the atmosphere.

"Guess they just announced a new curfew." Kearney tried to get Kayden's mind out of it.

"Or maybe the sight of the devil scared them." Kayden walked off ahead of them to locate the meeting room. His happy­go­lucky persona seemed to melt away as each step he took inside the chapel.

"Do we need to do this?" Kearney whispered to Amy.

"This was our mission," Amy cautioned him, "Don't tell me you're starting to feel bad for this traitor."

"You've seen him, Amy" Kearney disputed, "He's saved us the entire time we've been there and he only met us this morning!"

"Do you think I don't know that?!" Amy's face changed in uncertainty, "Just one day and everything I've known doesn't make sense to me anymore."

"I'm just not comfortable with this," Kearney walked off, but not before adding another remark, "You feel it too, don't deny it."

"I can hear you guys talking about me." Kayden popped out of the corridor while his stare stayed on them as he slowly retreated back into the hallway.

"What are you talking about?" Amy tried to play it off with her cold attitude.

"I'm watching you." Kayden whispered in her ear and with a show of superiority he teleported behind her, sending chills up her spine. She tried to elbow him, but he slipped away with another teleportation.

"That's why I can't trust him." Amy sneered at Kearney. 

~~~

The elders waited in the meeting room with anticipation to see their exiled student. They didn't expect the pair to retrieve him so quick, and the fact that may have put up a fight.

"One day," The Third Elder exhaled her cigarette smoke, "Can you believe it?!"

"It was expected with Amy," The Fourth smiled with arrogance oozing out of his pores, "I never had a doubt."

"Let's save the celebration once we know Kayden will accept this task." The First said with his booming voice.

"Did you miss me?" Without a second to spare, the door swung violently with a kick by Kayden, "Because for sure as shit, I missed you."

All the Elders rose from their seat in astonishment from the impulsive entry.

"What is wrong with you?!" Amy covered her face in shame for not preventing the rude entrance.

"It's okay," The First raised his hand to signal that all was fine, "His anger is understandable."

"Anger?" Kayden took one of the empty chairs for himself, "Don't hold yourselves in such high regards. I'm here because you need me, not the other way around."

"Well," The Fourth Elder smirked, "I see your arrogance is still intact."

"And I plan to keep that along with my head." Kayden scoffed.

"Can we start the debriefing?" The Third Elder lit up another cigarette.

"Thank you," The First sighed in exasperation, "Now just as what we told your escorts. There is some sort of influx of pure dark energy flooding the towns across the world."

"Obviously," Kayden picked at his ear, "What does this have to do with me, specifically?"

"Did you learn anything in your brief visit of hell?" The First asked.
"That place didn't worry me," Kayden stood up, "Nor should it worry you." "What do you mean?" The Fourth questioned his remark.

"No one wants that cold, barren wasteland," Kayden said, "They want our world, and they'll exterminate us all for it."

"My God!" The Third exclaimed.

"Hate to say it," Kayden continued, "He's about as useful as sour cream on a sandwich."

"How do you know?" Amy whispered to Kayden.

"Why did you, Kearney, and I take down a behemoth on our own?" Kayden sighed, "I didn't exactly see the 'Almighty' shine from above."

"What do you mean?" Kearney stared blankly.

"Basically, we've all been thrown into the wolves' den and the only thing that can save us, is well," Kayden looked at his former mentors, "Eating the wolves."

"Are you saying that we need to follow your words?!" The Fourth slammed his palms onto the table.

"What I'm saying is," Kayden teleported in front of the Fourth Elder, perched on the table, "I'm your only hope."

The Elders stared in awe of the exile's abilities. 

"And you know that."