Uneasy Feelings

Catherine examined some of the debris from the battle for anything that could be salvaged. Some of her books were still intact, but her inventory of records and albums were not among the survivors.

"Well," Catherine sighed, "I could cover you for protection spells, but you can forget hearing music in the car."

"We need to get you to the chapel before more of his friends come." Amy reached into her pocket for her radio.

Kayden struggled to make up his mind about going to the same place that abandoned him. He didn't need their help, but they possibly needed his.

"Can you handle being alone here while I'm gone?" Kayden finally gave in.

"You mean clean up this mess while you play superhero." Catherine's sarcasm cut through the air.

"Yes." Kayden stared back blankly.

"Just leave before I finish HIS job." Catherine sighed while she pointed at the dead demon.

"We need an extraction," Amy radioed the chapel, "We have the exile." "Roger that," A voice appeared from the radio, "Be there in twenty." "We need to go, Kayden." Kearney said.

Kayden still hesitated about leaving without Catherine. Even though, he was only going to be gone until they find a way to defeat the darkness coming—he didn't feel right to leave her alone especially after learning that he's a target of vengeance.

He extended his hand to Catherine's, who returned the gesture. They stared at each intimately, and this made Kearney understand their history from the conversation before.

"Can you not get yourself killed, Yamada?" Catherine tried to smile.

"What doesn't kill you," Kayden smiled back "Am I right?"

Amy continued speaking on the radio away from the others, and Kearney didn't seem comfortable about it. As her partner, he felt he needed to understand the current plans that were underway or are in the pipelines, but her guile made it seem impossible.

"We need to go, Kayden." Kearney patted the exile on the back. Kearney never experienced love, so it was awkward for him to fully comprehend the scenario between the pair. He was taught that faith drove the mission and nothing else, but is this what Kayden chose to fight for? The man who was believed to be a cold­blooded monster seemed to surprise the Exorcist by the minute.

"Is this finished?" Amy coldly said. "We need to get a move on."

Kayden slowly released Catherine's hand and followed the Exorcists to the car. He turned back to her with a face of uncertainty and gave a little wave.

"Careful." Catherine said to herself as she returned the wave.

The trio got inside the car with Kayden in the driver seat since he was the only capable of driving through the streets unscathed. The sun slowly descended below the horizon with the sunlight being interrupted by the skyscrapers of La Vista.

"How long until we get picked up?" Kearney asked.

"About twenty." Amy looked out to the sky to search for the helicopter. The sky was vacant with only the stars keeping them company. The young woman couldn't help but shake off a feeling of uneasiness. The buildings soon blended with the shadows, and still no helicopter.

"Problem?" Kayden sensed her anxiety.

"No," Amy looked at her feet, "Just focus on the road."

Kayden smirked, but didn't chase the topic any further. The night was still young, but the sudden increase in darkness bothered the exile as well.

"Where are we supposed to meet our ride?" Kearney asked. "The same building they left us at yesterday." Amy replied. "I know the place." Kayden chimed in.

"How did you—never mind." Amy already saw full proof of his abilities and chose not to doubt him. They took a turn into an alley next to their pick­up zone. The vagrants and usual hobos weren't in the area as well. This wouldn't be anything of notice to most people, but to Kayden it was something of a sour note, noticeable and bothersome.

"What's on your mind?" Kearney looked at Kayden.

"I don't know," Kayden scouted the alley, "Something seems a little off."

"Let's not waste our time with trying to figure it out," Amy got out of the car, trying to shake off her own worries, "We need to get to the rendezvous right now."

The guys followed her out of the vehicle without an argument.

Soon, the sound of the helicopter's propellers cutting through the sky gave the Exorcists some relief. The trio climbed the building with ease and finesse until they reached the roof where the helicopter was waiting for them.

"That was fast." The pilot smirked.

"What can I say?" Amy climbed aboard along with Kearney and Kayden. The helicopter soon lifted itself to the sky with its flight set on going back to the chapel.

"I still don't feel right leaving." Kayden looked below the shrinking city.

"You'll be doing this city a disservice if you stayed," Kearney reassured him, "We have bigger problems, you'll see."

Maybe he was right, but Kayden couldn't shake Catherine's face or the trouble he went through in one day. Although, it was far too late as he made his decision or rather, the decision had been made for him.

"Goddamn it." Kayden uttered to himself.