25. Utterance

"This isn't the first song on the album, you chose a playlist, didn't you?" she asked as she set their drinks down on a tray that included some crackers, cheeses and apple slices. Having eaten a large and late lunch, they'd agreed no dinner was required.

Harry smirked and raised one eyebrow. "I did. The name of the playlist was intriguing. It was listed as 'In the Mood.' I thought I might see where that led." He reached for her hand and pulled her down and into his side. As she cuddled in, Harry handed her the drink she had prepared for herself, smiling at the cherries and orange slices that bobbed in the liquor. He tried to avoid sexist stereotypes but thought it rather endearing that she had girled-up $120 a bottle whiskey.

He took a healthy pull of his own drink and kissed her temple. "Do you think it might?"

"Might what?" she asked in confusion.

"Lead somewhere. The music."

"Ohhh..." She lifted the drink to her mouth as Harry paid rapt attention to the curve of her lips as they fit over and around the rim of the glass. He swallowed. "Are you asking if I'm in the mood to fool around? With you, maybe?" The warm liquid of another long draw flowed down her throat to pool in her belly. It wasn't the only heat that was accumulating there.

Harry shot the second half of his whiskey and set the empty glass down. He lifted her over his thighs like a child. It was quickly clear, however, that his intentions were not childlike in the least.

Madelyn continued to sip as he ran his hand under the loose shirt she wore, and over her spine. Pulling her closer, he began to work below her right ear, then down her neck to the front of her throat. He could feel the throb of her pulse increase under his lips.

"Done?" he rasped as she drained the last of her old fashioned.

"With the drink," she replied.

The corners of his mouth turned up and he held onto her waist as she leaned to the side to leave her glass next to his.

She twisted slightly in his lap as her arms went over his muscular shoulders and she wrapped him into herself. Normally at a height disadvantage, Madelyn appreciated being eye to eye with this man who seemed to be rapidly running away with her heart.

"I'm sorry it was such a long day," he spoke into the corner of her mouth before leaving a small kiss. "I'm sorry you've been put through hell, but I'm glad that you're letting me be a part of it."

Stroking her cheek against his stubble, she sighed in resignation. "I'm the one who should be sorry, Harry. You don't deserve to be sucked into my mess. I wish so badly that it was something I could change. I've wondered what my life would have been like if I'd stayed on the East Coast if I'd never met him. I swear I tried to make things work with Jack, but I had to protect myself. Now I think I'll spend the rest of my life protecting myself."

"Shh... in a fucked up way, I owe him, so don't apologize." In spite of the regretful topic of conversation, Madelyn felt herself beginning to relax. Harry's strong, warm hand was kneading the tense muscles of her back and shoulders as they talked.

If felt good to lean on someone else for a change. Less lonely.

"Why would you say you owe Jack anything?"

"I owe him for bringing you here." His teeth grazed her jaw. "Want to know a dirty secret?" Teeth now dragging the right lobe of her ear before he sucked it into his mouth.

She drew a slow breath and let her eyelids flutter.

"Mmm, tell me your dirty secrets, Harry."

"If I do, you have to promise not to put me in detention or dock my grade, Professor M."