31. Mailing

The police had impounded her car pending completion of their investigation. Harry's Jeep, however, had been quickly released and he delivered her to the rental agency to pick up a vehicle to use until hers was repaired. She was never comfortable driving an unfamiliar car. Still, it was good to know she wouldn't have to depend on Harry or anyone else for transportation. He was already doing more than enough to help her.

Surprisingly, Madelyn's headache had quieted to a dull background ache by morning. The pain she was currently experiencing was more metaphorical. It was midday and she had not received a response to the email she sent first thing in the morning to her department chairman. Normally, Dr. Clark would reply with a generic message of acknowledgment at the very least.

Feeling the need for any boost she could manage, Madelyn had pulled her hair up into a professional bun and worn a power-red, turtleneck sweater with a black, wool pencil skirt. She finished her outfit with the tall black boots that Harry had admired the day he cornered her in the classroom. Now she was standing in Dr. Clark's reception area, hoping he would see her. Madelyn couldn't wait any longer for him to explain why it was he wanted to meet with her so urgently, and why he was not responding to her email.

"Dr. Clark says he'll be out in just a moment if you'll wait. He has a student with him now," the department secretary informs her as she replaces the phone receiver. "You're welcome to take a seat, Professor."

"Thank you, Margaret."

Madelyn paced over to the window that looked out upon the main campus quad. While she appeared quite collected, her insides were quaking. Margaret offered her a maternal smile and Madelyn considered how many students, professors, and department heads had passed through this office during the grey-haired woman's tenure. Certainly, she had witnessed the nerves of many and could understand why Madelyn chose to stand rather than sit. Holding her arms crossed over her chest, back to the rest of the office, Madelyn contemplated the possible reasons for her original summoning.

She turned with a start when the heavy door to her superior's inner sanctum opened. Expecting the student he had been meeting with to exit, Madelyn hesitated.

"Join us please, Professor Conroy."

"Certainly," she responded, hiding her nerves.

Dr. James Clark was formidable looking. Even in his mid-60's with nearly white hair, his upright carriage was that of a worldly and confident businessman. It was a well-known fact that the man could have retired comfortably at age 50, living the rest of his life on the dividends of his personal portfolio and pension. The reality was, he loved to work and would probably die behind his desk.

When he stood aside and directed her to enter the office ahead of him, Madelyn barely controlled a gasp.

"I believe you know Mr. Styles."

Madelyn's heart sank into the pit of her stomach. Harry stood tall in front of the chair he had been seated in. Although there was a reassuring look on his face, she felt wary.

"Why don't we all take a seat."

Harry resumed his seated position as Madelyn cautiously lowered herself into the chair to his right. Rather than returning to his leather chair behind the large walnut desk, Dr. Clark leaned against the front of it, crossing one ankle over the other.

"I had thought you would be at home today recuperating, Professor. You seem to have escaped your accident without significant injury, though it must have been a jarring experience."

"Yes, thank you. A few bumps, but otherwise I was lucky. Dr. I... "

The older man held up his hand to halt her speech.

"Let me get a couple of things addressed before you say anything."

Madelyn simply nodded, acknowledging that he had the floor.

"I apologize for not responding to your email this morning, but you may now imagine I had something to sort out. Surely you were curious as to why I had summoned you to meet with me yesterday. I'm sorry I was unable to be more forthcoming in my original request."

Again she nodded, while Harry sat completely still next to her. His hand was resting on the arm of his chair, only inches from her own. Madelyn could feel the slight warmth emanating from him. When they made the briefest eye contact, he raised his pinky as if to offer support. As silly as it might seem, that tiny gesture had her relaxing. She thought back to their conversation the previous day and reminded herself that they had done nothing wrong in being together.

"It came to my attention late last week that a professor in the department was engaged in a sexual relationship with a student. When I was learned that the professor was you, I was shocked. Your performance and deportment have always been above reproach during your tenure."

"Yes, sir, and if you'll allow me to respond..." Her voice was confident.

"Please let me finish. I believe we can come to a speedy resolution if you will be patient."

His tone was reasonable and Madelyn was certain that he meant no insult. It irked her however, that gender and the generation gap caused his words to bounce uncomfortably in her ears.

"As I was saying, I was surprised by and suspicious regarding the source of this information. You see, the report was quite anonymous." He picked up a large manilla envelope from the corner of his desk, furrowed his brows, then dropped it. "I received that on Friday. It contains a list of students who purportedly witnessed you behaving inappropriately with a student. It also contains photographs of you kissing a man in front of a local restaurant. Now, there is no law against a stolen kiss in public between consenting parties. If, however, the people in these pictures," he tapped the envelope, "turned out to be a professor at this school and her student, I am obligated to take action."

Madelyn's confidence was waning, along with her restraint. How could Harry continue to remain so calm, she wondered.

"Needless to say, I am obligated to investigate such concerns. Yesterday, I spoke to the four students whose names were listed. The two young men spoke highly of you as an instructor and after some cajoling, admitted they had requested you join them socially on more than one occasion. Invitations you declined. They did state that they saw you embracing an older male student in your classroom. The female students were much more helpful. They confirmed the boy's story and were additionally able to identify Mr. Styles."

"Dr. Clark, you must have been able to determine by now that Mr. Styles is not, in fact, my student. He isn't even an undergrad." Madelyn had reached the point of maximum patience.

"Yes, well, we can thank Mr. Styles here for clearing things up further. He was in my office an hour ago."

"One of the girls that Dr. Clark questioned, thought I might like to know what was happening. She sent me a text this morning and I met with her briefly. I came to straighten things out immediately afterward." Harry gave her hand a hasty squeeze before continuing. "I think all of the pertinent information has been revealed and there is no wrongdoing on our part."

Madelyn felt herself begin to relax for the first time since she stepped into the outer office. She studied Harry's face and found herself calming further.

"I won't mince words here Professor Conroy... Madelyn. It is preferable that there is no fraternizing between students and professors. Still, it does happen on occasion. As long as the student is not in the instructor's classes and preferably not their department, the University does not explicitly forbid the association. Harry has spoken to me professionally as well as on a personal level. After our candid conversation, I am convinced that this is a consensual relationship and violates none of our policies. I will ask you to be discreet. We do not wish to invite scrutiny. I am also handing this envelope over to you. You may wish to destroy it. If I were you, I would be inclined to determine its origin. It appears to me, that you have an enemy."

***

Author's Note:

I apologize for the slower updates recently. The final months of summer have seen me busier than usual. I can feel fall in the air and earlier evenings are around the corner. Soon the rafting and other outdoor activities will slow down and leave room for more writing. Thank you all for reading!