35. Addition

Madelyn was rarely so relieved to see the back end of a week. Mental and physical exhaustion plagued her. Nearly a month had elapsed since the accident-that-wasn't-an-accident transpired. Headaches followed the concussion she had sustained, and while they seemed to wane after the first week, now they were back. The pain was intense and at times she was overwhelmed with nausea, alleviated only by sleep. Regretfully, sleep was elusive at the moment.

Muffled bangs and thuds from the floor below distracted her, as she lay in Harry's new bed above The Next Generation. Surprisingly, the move into Next had gone smoothly. Credit to Harry, Murphy and Becca for hiring a phenomenal staff that was willing to step up and put in the extra hours and heavy lifting. If their schedule held, Etta's daughter-restaurant would have her grand opening in less than a week. The design and music concept from Etta's carried over with a lighter, sleeker tone. It was the modern female voices of soul and R&B that undulated from the sound system, Norah Jones, Mary J. Blige, Adele, Amy Winehouse, Alicia Keys and more; hence, The Next Generation.

What was truly unique was the addition of a study lounge, where student customers could congregate at one of three long, wood, plank tables. There, the food was counter service only and the wifi was free. By eliminating the need for a wait staff and having patrons bus their own tables, The Next could cut expenses and justify providing a communal space for their student-neighbors to linger. In the future, they would offer the room for parties and neighborhood gatherings. The four owners had every intention of becoming entrenched in this university community.

Madelyn wished she could kick this feeling of sick and join the crew working on the finishing touches. She wanted to pull her weight. Instead, she was taking deep breaths as she massaged her temples and another wave of nausea passed. She mulled over the most recent information Detective Barrett had presented the day before. Her case had been reviewed by the district attorney's office and it had been escalated. It was now being viewed as an attempted murder.

Strands of hair and the broken fingernail found in her car were sent to the state crime lab for DNA analysis. Unlike television dramas, the real wheels of justice moved slowly. Barrett had finally informed them the DNA results would be available any day. Additionally, he had received the forensic mechanic's report. Madelyn had a rudimentary understanding of cars. She could check and fill the fluids, jump a dead battery without electrocuting anyone and recognize a failed starter. That was the sum total of her knowledge. Harry, on the other hand was adept. He made sure she grasped everything that the police and insurance investigators had found.

Sulfuric acid was the first thing she learned about. Detective Barrett had asked if she knew what it was, had any stored on her property or knew anyone who had access to it. She did not. He had subjected Harry to the same questions, then asked if an officer might be allowed to search his jeep and apartment. Harry had acquiesced immediately. The detective apologized for the invasion, explaining that they were simply following procedure. Having found nothing suspicious, Barrett described what their probe revealed to date, and what they thought happened to cause Madelyn to lose control of her vehicle the night of the wreck.

When the forensic mechanic examined the Subaru, he discovered that the brake line leading from the master cylinder had been tampered with. Tests showed the presence of highly caustic sulfuric acid which caused a weakening in the line. There was scraping on the material which initially led police to believe that Madelyn had driven over something sharp, thus causing the damage. The thinking was that a slow leak of brake fluid resulted in her inability to stop the car. It was the presence of the acid that convinced them to look further.

Minor scratches in the paint evidenced that the driver side door had been forcibly opened, likely using a wedge and slim-jim type tool. Once entry had been gained, popping the hood would have been simple.