50. Completion

Author's Note: The whole chapter rolls better with this tune on repeat. Play it, and read on!

"Knox. Place."

"Maybe he doesn't want to sleep down there," Madelyn suggested helpfully.

"He's really supposed to sleep wherever we put the dog bed. This isn't a free-for-all, babe."

They had been at this longer than seemed reasonable. Knox's oversized cushion was placed at the foot of Madelyn's bed. Harry had become accustomed to sleeping on her right when he stayed over. This placed him between her and the door, suiting his protective nature. This arrangement was not, however, working for Knox. Each time Harry commanded the dog to go to his place, Knox would evade and sit between the bed and the door. Currently, he stood his ground, head tilted to the side, left ear flopping slightly, brow raised, seeming to indicate he could go on all night.

"I'm tired, Harry. It's been a long day and I just want to crawl into bed with you. Can you two please call a truce?" she sighed.

"Mads, we have to be firm. Knox needs to recognize us as the alphas of the pack. Otherwise, he won't respect our authority in the long run."

Madelyn huffed into her closet, changing into a short sleep shirt. She moved on to brush her teeth, brush her long, chestnut hair, use the toilet, and wash her hands and face. Throughout the process, she listened to Harry getting nowhere with Knox. She was tired of being tired since the wreck and concussion. It was making her feel edgy.

Enough was enough. Stomping out of the bathroom, she snatched a corner of the dog bed. Dragging it to the head of her own, across from the door, she dropped it.

"Knox! Place!" she pointed to his bed.

Obediently, the shepherd trotted over and flopped down. Laying his head on his paws, he looked back and forth between his new humans. He raised his eyebrows alternately as if to say, "Now, what was the problem?"

"Good boy. Harry?"

"What?"

"Go brush your teeth and come to bed."

As he lifted his hands to challenge Madelyn's accommodation for the dog, Harry saw the look in her eyes and reversed course, slapping them to his thighs as she aggressively whipped off her nightshirt. Never mind that disagreement. Compromises must sometimes be embraced. Especially when your girlfriend has brandished her naked tits and is wearing nothing but a pair of barely-there panties telling you to get in the bed.

Seconds before exiting the bathroom, a solid bass line thumped from the bedroom's hidden speakers. With fresh breath and not a stitch of clothing, Harry threw open the bathroom door. Minimizing the stereo app, he set his iPhone on the dresser.