39. Appeal

"The words to this song are completely out of sync with the mood of the music. Do you want me to change it?" Brooke shifted herself to get up.

Madelyn shook her head, "No, leave it. They have a lot of contradictory tunes, 'Hi-Line' is definitely one of them, but I like it."

"I suppose under the circumstances, The Heartless Bastards are an appropriate band to listen to."

"Oh, Nani! That was bad," Becca squinted her eyes as if in pain.

"What do you think will happen?" Brooke asked quietly.

"I honestly don't know." Madelyn's voice had taken on a steely edge. "Becca obviously thinks he isn't planning to throw in the towel, and he did make an attempt to reach out, even if the way he did it wasn't very impressive. Either he wants this relationship badly enough to fight for it, or he doesn't."

"He does, he definitely does," Becca piped up.

"I still feel a kind of betrayal and that makes me angry, but my resistance is low tonight," Madelyn laughed. "If he were here, I wouldn't be able to think straight anyway, and we definitely need to have a sensible conversation. I'm not putting up with this beyond tomorrow. If he hasn't pulled his head out of his arse, I'll do it for him."

"Yes, you go girl! Resist until your demands are met!"

"Brooke, sit your ass down," Nani was trying to catch their pixie friend by the wrist and drag her back to the sofa. The endeavor took multiple tries as Brooke had easily drunk the most wine and was now cheering as if she had pom-poms in her hands.

"There is no way she is driving tonight,"

"Don't worry, Becca, I'll drive," Nani shrugged. "Now about this low resistance you mentioned, Madelyn, what was that all about?"

"Ugh... I am missing him regardless, but I think we just have some crazy chemistry. That or I must be ovulating early. I feel like a mess of hormones that are also missing him. It's actually been a couple of days of feeling like this and it isn't letting up!"

"This is great! The always calm, cool and collected Professor Conroy is horny!"

"Oh shut up, Brooke," Madelyn gave her friend the stink eye.

"Come on Madelyn, is he any good?" Nani pried.

Becca's hand shot into the air like a bolt of lightning, "I can answer that!"

"Um, excuse me?"

"Oh for the love of God, Madelyn, anyone who was in the building that one morning knows he's got to be a hell of a lot more than 'good.' I'm pretty sure the walls shook and the ceiling light fixtures were swinging."

Becca tried to duck, but a pink-cheeked Madelyn successfully bounced a pillow off the top of her head. "That's bullshit and you know it!"

"Okay, that part may be a slight exaggeration, but the noise coming from upstairs left no doubt that the man got the job well and thoroughly completed."

"Sooo... how's he hung?"

The room erupted in laughter and Nani tried ineffectively to slap her hand over Brooke's mouth.

"Ha! I can say this now, because he isn't my employee anymore, wait until you see him. The man wears these jeans that leave so beautifully little to the imagination."

"You're all horrible! But, yes... he is incredible. He has the best equipment and he most definitely knows how to put it to excellent use." Madelyn hoped no one noticed her deep breath and slight squirming in her seat.