19 - #Calm

"Ok, I've got a good one. What is used to clean something that it is made up of?"

"Soap."

"Right! Oh my goodness, you're so smart!" Chad's mother leaned forward and ruffled his hair.

They were having a butt load of fun; at least that's what Chad's mother thought. She was going through the newspaper and looking for riddles to quiz Chad on. An activity rendered by his nurses was to overload him with brain activity. Chad's mother was dressed in a loose sundress that was a bright yellow and Chad was still in his patient outfit.

"Ok wait, which one is heavier – 100kg of Coal or 100kg of feathers?"

"None..."

"I got crisps! Anyone want one?" Chad's father walked in in his faded jeans and flannel shirt.

"Me please." Chad spoke up and his father tossed him a can of pringles.

They were doing it again. Pretending like nothing had happened between them. A father and son game of dodge the accusations. Friendly.

"Chad!" The sound of Nicole's voice coursing through the door widened his eyes and he sat up straight, ready to welcome the thought of anyone remotely not the same gender as him that was not his mother.

He stared open mouthed at her as she waltzed into his hospital room with a purple crop top and black leggings with a wide pair of glasses resting on her nose.

"Oh hi Nicole-" She enveloped him in a heavy hug that knocked the breath out of him. 

He smiled, grateful that someone other than his mother, was happy to see him alive. Recently, he had begun to think about how much his life meant to him. He needed more people he could trust and love before he finally left this earth.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" He whispered in her ear.

Chad threw his pebble on the water and watched it bounce and then finally plop under water, never to be seen again. He stared at the sea. It was evening so the stars reflected back up from the water, giving it the look of a glittery sea. It was windy so the water moved as if full with life and occasionally washed up a shell at his feet.

He heard her footsteps before he heard her voice.

"Chad..." Nicole made her way down the rocks and stood next to him. "Your parents are worried. You know it's dangerous to be out at night when..." she trailed off.

He understood. He couldn't get kidnapped again or even worse... killed. 

"I know. But can you blame me?" He gestured towards the sea and she gasped.

"It's beautiful..." She whispered.

"I know."

Chad sat down on a big rock and she sat down reluctantly next to him.

"Nicole, thank you."

"For what?"

"For being... you."

"You're welcome Chad. I never knew you could be cheesy."

Chad smiled. And as he sat there next to Nicole and basked in the moonlight.

He was finally #Calm.

END OF PART ONE