1 - #LifeStartsHere

Where in the world is Suburbs Boy?

By : Peter Parker

Chad Mackenzie , son of Gerek Mackenzie – CEO of Mackenzie Enterprises – caused an outrage in the world of today as his sudden disappearance fro the media has destroyed many teenage girls' minds. The star refused to make a post on his instagram page and when reporters began to scout for our favourite pair of 6 packs, they realized they couldn't find him anywhere. Has Chad been kidnapped again, or even worse - decided to bail on us? The...

Chad chucked the Daily Entertainment newspaper in the bin and smiled. He walked to his floor-length mirror in his beach house and stared at his reflection.

He was wearing a white tank over a pair of grey shorts and white vans at his feet. He had ginger hair and some drawn on freckles over his nose and his skin was radiating with more life than it ever had. He smiled. Chad Mackenzie looked into the mirror, but Mac Miller stared back at him.

"Ready for your first day at Princeton honey?" Chad's mother stood behind him and squeezed his shoulders.

He smiled and squeezed her hand: "I don't think I'll ever be more ready than I am now."

"Chad," she sighed. "Are you sure you're making the right choice?"

"I realized that my problem wasn't being perfect in the media, I wanted to be out of it. Everywhere I went there always seemed to be the camera flash following me about. I couldn't breathe without being sure that my ribs were rising in the right way and that my face didn't look as if I was about to throw up. I had to think about who I was going to live my life for but now I finally realize that I'm meant to live my life for myself – because that's the only way I'll find out who I really am."

"Of course...Mac. My baby's growing up." She began to sob into his chest.

"I'll be fine mum." Chad hugged her. "It's time for you to let me go."

"Oh please. She did the same thing when I was leaving the country." Ariana's voice came from the door and Chad turned to face her. "Hey little brother."

"Ari!" He walked up to her and threw his hands around her, still surprised that he could now fully wrap his arms around her waist and entwine his fingers together.

"Just remember, don't fall into the pressure. University isn't hard if you know what you're doing. Okay?"

"Okay." He let go and stood back. "I love you guys."

"We love you too, now go live your life, Mac Miller." Ariana smiled.

Chad left the house to the Uber, which was currently waiting for him, his luggage stuffed into its boot.

"Chad!" Nicole ran up to him and wrapped her arms and legs around him.

"Oof." He held onto her, afraid he was going to fall.

Her hair got in his face and he had to brush it off.

"I'm going to miss you so much." She smiled.

"Don't forget to check your phone every morning then." They both laughed.

"I love you, Chad."

"I love you, Nicole." He pushed his lips against hers.

●●●

The uber driver was not quiet.

"What's your name?" He asked immediately Chad had stopped waving because he could not see his family anymore.

"Mac Miller." Chad/Mac answered, heart still fluttering at the thought of living a new life.

"I'm Mus Toy. Your family seems to really love you. Back home, when my son left for college, his mother couldn't wait for him to leave." He laughed to himself. "Always a nuisance that one was."

"Hmm." Chad/Mac made a sound with his mouth, clearly asking for peace and quiet.

"Should I put on the radio?" The man spoke again.

"Yes please." Chad/Mac said.

The uber turned on the radio and classical music started blaring from the speakers.

"Do you like classical?"

"Mhm."

"My daughter doesn't like anything that isn't R&B. You wouldn't believe the influence Beyoncé has on children nowadays."

"Hmm."

"You wouldn't believe."

Chad/Mac looked at his uber driver. Mus looked like a middle aged man and he was wearing a flower top and bleached jeans.

They drove in silence and after a while they started to get near the campus. Chad could hear the idle chatter of the students on the campus catching up after the summer holiday.

"Did-"

"It seems we're here!" Chad/Mac shouted and the uber driver stopped at the gates. "Thank you, Mus Toy."

"My pleasure." He chirped as Chad/Mac left the car. "Hey, could you rate me 5 stars on the app?"

"Of course." Chad/Mac smiled at him.

Chad/Mac got his stuff out of the trunk and lugged them onto a trolley, carrying his duvet under his arm. He pushed the heavy trolley in through the gates and then up to the reception.

"Hi." He smiled at the receptionist who just glared at him. "Can I get the keys to my dorm?"

"What's your name?"

"Mac. Mac Miller."

"Sign here." She brought out a sheet of paper and gave him a pen. He scribbled : Mac on it and then she handed him a key. "Your dorm is on the seventh floor."

"Thank you." He grabbed the key and begun to lug his stuff into the elevator.

"Hold the door!" a girl's voice came and Mac pushed his trolley between the doors automatically and they pushed back.

"Thank you!" a girl around his age ran into the elevator and Mac moved to make space for her.

She hit the button for the fourth floor and the elevator started to move.

"Hey!" She smiled chirply, holding her hand out. "I'm Claire."

"Mac." Mac took her hand and shook it.

"Hey Mac. You new around here?"

"Yeah, I am."

"Same here. University. A whirlpool of opportunities." Claire looked up.

"It sure is." Mac smiled.

"#LifeStartsHere." She grinned and he laughed.

It had been a while since he heard anyone speak in hashtags.

The elevator stopped and Claire got down.

"See you around Mac." She smiled at him and the door closed.

Mac smiled after her and thought about how his life at university would be.

He would be living a new life.

With new friends.

With new aspirations.

But it would be a lie. A huge lie. 

Mac thought he could handle it, but could he truly? It would be hard. But he would try.

He needed this.

First he had to conquer his roommate.