3 - #Geek

The murmur of the crowd died down as a woman stood on the stage, looking at each of them one by one.

"Freaky." Claire whispered in Chad's ear.

"Like you wouldn't know." Chad whispered back. 

The woman's eyes lingered longer on him than it had for the other students before she moved on.

"Geez this woman freaks me out." Chris spat through his teeth.

The room had dulled to complete silence.

"You are all now freshmen at Princeton University." Her voice was clear and sharp and cut through the air. "I am a teacher. At this University. I. Do. Not. Like. It. When students behave like they are still in high school. You left that part of your life behind. You will comport yourself like an adult which some of you already are. If you do not. You will regret it. Be wise. Thank you." She curtsied and walked off the stage, a low rumble of applause going after her.

The short bearded man walked back onto the stage and smiled. "Thank you students, you may leave now. Get to know your roommates and enjoy yourself at Princeton University!" 

The room became lively again and there was a loud thunder clap of applause.

"Hi, I'm Rena." Chad turned around to find a girl introducing herself to Claire.

"Hey, I'm Claire." Claire said and Chad almost died with joy.

"I'm Chris." Chris popped into the conversation and smiled at Rena.

"And you are?" It took Chad a few seconds - five, to be precise - to realise she was looking at him. 

"Mac." He smiled at her and she smiled back at him.

"This place is crazy isn't it?" Rena demonstrated by waving her hands.

"It is." Claire nodded.

"I mean, I was supposed to go to Harvard but my mother said I wouldn't have to strain myself here. How about you guys?" She was chatty, which meant she would ask a lot of questions. Chad didn't like her.

"Princeton since the beginning." Claire put her hand to her heart and giggled.

"Same here." Chris smiled.

"Yale was my first choice. Guess I picked the alternative." Chad forced a laugh out of his throat and then looked at his watch. "It's getting late and I still haven't unpacked. I've got to go, I'm sorry."

"It's just 12." Rena glanced at him.

"Which is late. It was nice meeting you. Goodbye." Chad practically ran out of the room.

Everything and everyone in the hall was so... normal. Chad new that remaking himself would be remaking a whole new life with entirely different company around him but he couldn't help wishing that something dramatic would happen to him. His life had been nothing but a whirlwind of drama and abnormality and he missed it.

Then he remembered his kidnapping and every doubt he had about this new life faded away. He'd rather be safe than sorry.

Chad walked to his dorm room and opened the door, picking up the papers that were slid underneath it. His and Alex's timetable had arrived. His eyes skimmed over his subjects and he sighed. How was it fair for uni to start the day after he got there? He was really missing home, sleep, and Nicole.

Chad smiled and placed the papers on the table and picked up his phone, dialing Nicole's number.

"Hello-"

"Hey babe-"

"-you've reached Nicole please leave a message and I'll get back to you once I hear it... probably. BEEP"

Chad raised his eyebrow. Nicole always had her phone with her, it was rare for her not to answer his calls, but she had become less persistent to be with him once he became Mac Miller. Chad shook his head and called back again, reaching just her dialer tone. He sighed and then called again, this time he left a message.

"Hey Nikky. I just wanted to hear you voice. Life is... interesting in Princeton. Call me back once you hear this. I love you." 

He walked into his room and opened his suitcase, throwing stuff out before he reached the box at the bottom. He opened it to reveal a sheet of files.

"Take this, boy." His kidnapper had thrown a box into his hands. "Keep it safe and I will allow you to escape. If anything happens to me... bring you father down."

And Chad had fallen down the stairs.

Chad looked at the papers he had held over a fire once when he became Mac. But just when he was about to burn it, his father had once again attempted to ruin his life by trying to bribe Nicole off him. So he had kept the boy. But he was hoping not to use it.

"Hey! Let go of me!" Chad heard the angry yell of a voice he knew all to well.

Aberdeen.

Chad walked out of his room to find Aberdeen knocking on doors.

"Chad! Chad I need you!" She yelled.

"I'm sorry you can't just barge in here..." the receptionist tried to talk but was cut off.

"Look lady, I said I'm looking for Chad Mackenzie and if you can't find him for me, you better get out of my way." Aberdeen hissed.

Chad looked at her. She was dressed in black ripped skinny jeans with a purple net tank and purple fingerless gloves that looked blood stained. She had rings on each finger and purple ankle boots with a silver skull necklace hanging off her neck. Her hair was dyed purple with dark ends and she was wearing dark makeup. She looked like trouble. But yet, Chad was so happy to see an old part of his life that he couldn't keep himself away from her.

"Sorry about my friend, she can be a bit intrusive at times." Chad walked up to Aberdeen and pulled her by her elbow backwards while whispering in her ear : "I know where Chad is."

Chad pulled her into his room and smiled at the receptionist, slamming the door shut.

"What is wrong with you?" Chad faced her.

"Look," she crossed her arms. "I didn't beat you up because you said you know where Chad is so better start talking or I'l start punching."

"Aberdeen. It's me."

She looked at him with blank eyes.

"I'm Chad."

"Riiight. Funny."

"Come on, a few freckles and dyed hair makes you forget me?"

She smiled at him and took a step back.

"You walked in on me naked while I had a nightmare."

"Ohmygosh." Her eyes filled with recognition. "It is you. What happened to you, Chad? You look so #geek."

"Now I go by Mac. I started again. I haven't seen you since my kidnapping. How did you find me?"

"Nicole was very willing after I..." she raised her fist. "Convinced her it was the right thing to do."

"You punched my girlfriend?"

"Girlfriend? You like the nerdy type Chad, since when?"

"Mac."

"Oh please, that name is stupid."

"Please just use it."

"Okay Mac."

"Aberdeen, what the hell are you doing here?"