Chapter Twenty-Nine

Noah's POV

"Noah, I-Im dying." David tells me, stuttering, with tears in his eyes.

What? How is he dying? If he was dying wouldn't he still be in the hospital, why aren't they doing everything they possibly can to keep him alive??

I suddenly turn from very sad to very angry in a matter of seconds.

I am sad for David, for his family, for Jamie. I am at a loss of words.

But part of me is mad at the hospital, at the doctor's. I am mad that there is no cure for cancer. I am mad at the world, why would someone so amazing be put through this. It's not fair.

Even though I have so many thoughts running through my head, jumbling up and running freely, messing with my brain, all I can say is, "wh--what?"

David sighs and takes a breath, steadying himself and blinking to clear the tears.

Beside him, Amy is shaking slightly, with tears pooling rapidly in the corners of her eyes. She is breathing quite heavily, willing herself not to cry. But her hand remains in Davids, steadying him. She is his rock, and he is hers.

That thought makes me all the more sad, thinking about what this means, for Jamie and the rest of her family. Growing up without a parent is devastating. But growing up with one and then losing them about halfway through, might just be worse. Waking up and realizing they're not there. Not anymore.

"I... I am dying." David finally says, but this time more steadily, more sure.

"They told me last night. I only have a few weeks, if that, to live, he continues, "the doctors wanted me to go home and spend my last little while with my family and my friends. Said they are the best medicine for me right now. They tried Noah, they really tried. Everything. So many different medicines and treatments. Nothing is working, and then things got worse, so much worse. And now here we are. They told me I had a few weeks to a month. Please, please don't tell Jamie or anyone else for that matter, not yet. We want to wait a few days to tell Jamie, Sammie, and Josh. As for family and friends, we aren't too sure yet. Just please, let this stay between us." He finishes, true pleading in his last words.

I nod my head, trying to wrap my mind around these words first. I am at a loss, taking all of this in.

"Y-yes, yes of course," I finally say, "I won't tell anyone. I'm very, truly sorry to hear this. I really would have liked to have gotten to know you."

David nods his head, expecting the sympathy, "Jamie is in love with you." He suddenly says, "and I know that you're in love with her too," I nod my head in confirmation at this, "please. Please take care of her when I'm gone. You need to promise me that. I know Jamie, she is going to take this hard. Even harder when I'm gone. It will be hard on everyone. I need you to be there. This isn't a plead, this isn't me asking. Noah, I need you to be there for her. I've never seen her the way she is with you around anyone else before. It won't be too easy. She will try to push you away, she won't want sympathy, but you need to do this for me, you need to do this for her. Promise me that you'll stay for her."

I nod my head once, taken aback the slightest bit at his words.

"Of cour--" my voice comes out squeaky and cracked. I clear it once, "of course I will. I won't let you or her down. I will be there for her during the happiest moments of her life, and I will be there for the saddest. You don't need to tell me sir, and you don't need to ask, I will always be there for her. I love her. More than anyone will ever know. I fell in love with her a long time ago, and that love has only gotten stronger. I will never abandon her, I will never leave her side. I will be there for her forever." I finish.

Somewhere in my speech Amy began tearing up, and now the tears are running freely. Even in David's eyes, the tears are visible as he pats me on the arm and in a shaky voice, but with so much passion, so much thanks says, "thank you."

************************************

After our long talk, I get up from the table, excusing myself to see Jamie, seeing as Maggie has left over ten minutes ago and she hasn't come down yet.

I walk up the stairs slowly, not wanting to disrupt her.

I get to the top and see her door open just a crack, sunlight streaming through. I knock slightly once and then open it.

Jamie is sitting on the edge of her bed, studying her hands as if they were the most fascinating thing she has ever seen.

Upon seeing me, Jamie shoots up from the bed, making herself look busy, tidying her already clean countertop.

I smile softly, "Jamie, you don't have to do that. You don't have to fake anything in front of me. What's wrong? You can tell me anything, you know that."

She sighs heavily, dropping her hands, along with her head.

I take her hand in mine, intertwining them. I lead her to her bed, sitting us both on the edge of it.

Her head is still tilted downstairs sightly, so I take my free hand and tilt her chin up so that she is looking right at me.

Her eyes are a pool of madness, thoughts swimming around. She is unreadable. There is sadness, there is excitement, there is love, and commitment.

"It's, it's just Maggie." She tells me.

I gasp the slightest bit, "is she okay?"

Her eyebrows quiver slightly, "OH! Oh, no, I'm sorry. No, she's fine. Don't worry. I just... I really hope this works out between her and Ryan. She didn't have the best home life growing up, her dad left when she was born, always in and out of jail. Her mom was always there for her but all the guys she brought home were just terrible. So naturally, Maggie never had trust in guys, or she would trust them and they would just use her and let her go. That's why I sincerely hope Ryan is the guy for her."

I take all this information in, I never knew that. Maggie has always been the fun, bubbly, high spirited girl. She has never displayed a hint of sadness.

"I am truly sorry to hear all of that," I tell Jamie, "but, honestly, I have known Ryan forever. He is the most amazing person, and he has liked Maggie for quite some time. I really really think that they will work out."

She smiles at me slightly and kisses my lips, "thank you Noah. I hope so too."

************************************

Thank you so much to xxxUniqueWriterxxx for the awesome cover!! Everyone follow her and read her book, it is amazing!

Thank you also for over 26K and for getting this book to #112 in teen fiction, when I heard that I freaked right out, so omg sincerely thank you all!!

Remember to vote, comment, follow, and recommend:)

-Maxine<3