Chapter 9

Colton tried his hardest not to lose his composure. Everything was so out of his control. Now, he had gotten Violet involved in something so cruel and nasty. Death was potentially inevitable if someone like her was even near him. Why did this have to happen? Why was he like this? Emotions surged through him when he looked at her still body on the bed. Please don't die, he thought. He had brought her to the abandoned building, which was currently their home, and transferred blood from their stash of blood bags into her veins. Please, let it work. He couldn't bear to acknowledge the thought of her being dead. If it happened, it would be his fault. Why hadn't he just forced her to leave the moment he saw her here? Thinking he could protect her was stupid. He was stupid.

Violet opened her eyes while struggling to get up. Her body felt weak with zero energy. Where was she? To her disappointment, she realized she was back in the abandoned building. The memories of the night before flooded in and resulted in a headache. "Colton, what happened last night?"

Colton jumped at her words. "You're awake."

"Tell me what happened."

He looked away from her. "You lost a lot of blood."

"What exactly did he do to me?" Violet couldn't hold back anymore. She wanted answers.

"Violet, just rest."

"No, I need to know," she said with frustration.

Colton gulped, rubbed his face and sighed. "Alright."

Violet was hurt...hurt that this whole thing had to be this way, that she had to find him like this, that they were no longer who they once were. The secrets that he was keeping didn't help. "I just need the truth. That's the least you can do for me after all this."

He slowly opened up and Violet saw a part of Colton she hadn't seen before. His face was grim as he explained everything. "Victor was the one that bit you last night. He drank your blood," he paused, "him and I...and the rest of us...we're alike."

She could recall the moment Riley struck out her teeth, or how everyone seemed to act like she was different. She was aware of all the signs, but she never added them up to this conclusion. "Stop playing games. Why would you drink blood? That's disgusting." She suddenly remembered Aiden on the first night they met. He had licked her. "What the hell are you guys?"

"It's not like that. It's an act of survival." He looked to the floor. "We can't control the hunger. We were forced into this."

"What?"

Colton looked her dead in the eye. "We're vampires."

There was a long silence. Violet would have laughed if she heard this earlier, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. "Cut the crap, Colton."

"If you don't want to believe it, then don't. It sounds silly, but I wouldn't lie to you." Colton said before heading towards the door. He didn't look too good. "I need some fresh air. Rest for a bit." The door shut after him.

Violet didn't know how to react. Should she be afraid? Was he serious? She didn't want to wait around, so she decided to get the hell out of there. She no longer had any desire to stay no matter the benefits. The only problem was that she had no idea where she was headed. Sure, she had been in and out of the building a couple of times, but her head couldn't remember the directions.

"Where do you think you're going?" Riley appeared out of nowhere. "You're trying to leave, aren't you?" Her laugh made Violet uncomfortable. "Don't forget you failed the test by falling asleep and allowing Vic to creep up on you. He is definitely something." Her smirk fell and she grew serious. "You put us all in danger. Do you really expect us to just let you escape so easily?"

"Let her go."

Riley turned around.

"The longer she stays, the more we screw up," Aiden said, appearing randomly.

She glared at Violet. "I thought you were fun, Aiden. When did you ever let someone go?"

That angered him. "Look, this isn't a game to me. I'd rather get rid of her than mess around."

"Then get rid of her. Do it with your own hands," Riley said.

Violet feared the temptation in his eyes.

He stared at the ground before saying, "I can't."

Riley had had enough. At the speed of light, she had her hands over Violet's neck, slowly applying with pressure. "If you're afraid to do it because of Colton, then I'll do it."

Violet gasped for air and waved her arms unsuccessfully trying to escape. "Stop it," Aiden said sternly.

Riley didn't pay attention to him and tightened her grip. Violet didn't want to die. She struggled to think of a way out as her lungs tenaciously searched for air. When she thought she was about to pass out, the fingers around her neck loosened with a small scream.

"You bastard!" Riley shouted in pain.

After her lungs filled with air, Violet looked up to see a knife stabbed into Riley's arm. The sound of it being yanked out made her cringe.

"What's going on?" Now everyone was joined at the same place. Colton eyed Riley's arm then to Violet and Aiden.

"Aiden stabbed me!" she cried.

Aiden didn't try to cover up his actions. "Big deal. It's going to heal up soon anyway."

"What happened?" Colton asked Violet.

She could feel Riley's glare, but she wasn't scared. "I almost died."

"I had to prevent her from leaving," Riley said.

"She's had enough on her plate, so I don't blame her. I already told her what we are."

"What?" everyone asked.

"Look, I thought she was only here temporarily but now she has to stay. We can't have anyone who knows about us roam freely," Delsin explained.

Violet couldn't believe how honest they sounded. "Stop with this stupid act!" she blurted. "I don't know what you're up to and at this point, I don't really care. Just let me go."

Colton stared at Violet for a while. "We can't risk any chances of being caught." He looked at her with a hint of emotion now. "I'm sorry, but I can't let you go."

Violet knew she was outnumbered. Even if she tried, they would all stop her. "Why did you have to tell me any of it? Why?"

He snapped at her. "You asked for the truth, so I gave it. I don't care if you believe me or not. You're now involved with us whether you like it or not."

She couldn't argue any further. "Fine. Just don't touch me ever again. Any of you." No one said anything as she turned away and walked off. She had no idea where she was going, but it was better than being around them.