Chapter 15

Violet didn't know where they were going, but it looked like they were heading somewhere dark. Soon, tall trees came into view. It was again, she realized, another trip to the woods. "Is this where you usually go?"

"Yeah, it's the safest place for us. No one usually goes out here at night so we wouldn't get caught easily," Colton responded.

The sound of crickets chirping increased. "To sum it up, we tend to hunt for humans living deep in the woods," Aiden explained. Colton gave him a please-shut-up face. Aiden shrugged. "She's going to see it live anyway."

Violet could feel her heart racing as the van came to a stop. "Okay well, we're here," Colton announced. Aiden was the first one out followed by Riley, Colton, and Delsin.

"It's okay. Just follow me," Colette whispered as she climbed out. The others were already rummaging through the trunk, searching for weapons. Colette handed her a knife. "Use this for self defense."

Violet remembered the gun in her bag. "Will a gun be better?"

"Just stick with the knife. I've got you covered anyway." Colette grabbed some tranquilizers and a pistol. The others had similar weapons except Colton held a dagger, a small gallon of gasoline, and a box of matches.

"Let's head forward," Colton commanded. They all followed his steps quietly. Violet was behind everyone tightly gripping her knife, heart pounding. Colton lit a match, making their surroundings slightly more visible. "Anyone see anything?" Nobody answered. "Okay then, keep walking," he said. The deeper they were in, the more terrifying it all was. The walking seemed endless. Violet wanted to know why it was taking so long. There was absolutely no sign of any houses or light so far. The only light visible was from the matchstick in Colton's hand. Every now and then, he would have to light a new one. For about thirty minutes, only the sounds of animals and their own footsteps were heard.

Suddenly, they heard barking. "Damn it, there's a dog," Colton muttered under his breath. The barking grew louder by each second. "Let's just avoid it." They continued on, but all they saw were more trees. After a while of searching, they finally found a sign of human life. Footprints. That didn't give away much though. Colton stopped and scanned the area. "I see benches. This could be a hidden park or something." Just then, there was a loud stomping noise.

"What was that?" Riley whispered. Colton put his arm out for them to shut up while they listened closely. The stomping was getting closer. Everyone was prepared and had their weapons ready. The barking of a dog was back, but this time they could also hear heavy footsteps as well.

"What the hell are y'all doing on my property?" The angry voice drew their attention to the right. A man appeared holding a flashlight and the barking stopped. A large yellow dog waddled right beside him. He appeared so suddenly that it almost gave Violet a heart attack.

Delsin stepped up. "Hello sir, do you live here?"

"This is my damn property. You guys are trespassing." The man folded his arms and glowered at them. His flashlight shined on all six of them, causing them to squint. "I'm gonna have to ask you to leave before I report you."

"Sorry, we don't have time for that," Delsin replied. Before the guy could say anything, Delsin pulled out a tranquilizer and stabbed him.  The man's body tried to keep standing, but eventually failed and fell backwards. The dog began barking again, so Colton stepped in. He found a stick and threw it as far as he could. To everyone's surprise, it worked and the dog went chasing after it. "That was quick," Delsin said.

"Let's take him somewhere else before the dog returns," Colton said. Colton and Aiden carried the man while the rest followed. They held the body until they stumbled upon a small cabin. There was a car parked outside, but the windows were pitch black.