Chapter 10

Riley couldn't extinguish the anger inside her. That girl irritated her. Who did she think she was? Although she liked Colton, Riley was starting to have second thoughts. He wasn't being a good leader which is why Ace left. Of course, Riley could leave anytime she wanted, but things were starting to get interesting with Violet around. It was sometimes annoying, but at least there was someone to mess with.

Violet didn't know how to feel. She was upset, but again, it was her own fault she was even there in the first place. As for the vampire thing, she was sure it was not entirely true. Maybe they just use that name for something else, she thought. She was walking aimlessly around the building but was stopped when Colton appeared in front of her.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Will that make things better?" she asked.

"You would understand if you knew more but I just can't show you everything yet. I need more time."

"More time to show what? How you're apparently a vampire? Stop with that." She glared at him, ready to leave.

"It's not a lie!" he shouted furiously.

His anger struck her with the feeling of shock and confusion. Before she could think any further, Colton slammed her body against the wall and revealed his sharp teeth. She squealed and leaned her weight upon the wall, breathing heavily. His eyes grew dark with a deep shade of red as he clenched his teeth tightly, appearing to be in pain. He pounded a fist to the wall and moved back. Violet stood speechless as she watched him fall to his knees.

"Leave," he said.

She couldn't. Paralyzed with fear, she stood there motionless.

"Please leave." He was looking at the ground, shaking.

She was afraid he was about to do something harmful, but the footsteps approaching dispelled the thought. "What's going on?" It was Colette. Her expression changed to worry when she took a look at Colton. "You should've been more careful Colton."

He didn't answer but got up, hand gripping his left arm. Colette looked around hurriedly and called out for Riley. Violet stepped back when Riley immediately appeared. She ignored Violet and rushed to Colton's side.

"Hand me a blood bag, it might calm him," Riley demanded. She placed her hands on his shoulders to keep him steady while Colette ran off to find the needed item.

"Hey, hey, listen to me. Control it. Relax and breathe," Riley spoke softly. Violet watched as Colton stopped fidgeting and took small breaths. "Colette, don't bother with it! He's okay!"

She said it too late. Colette was already around the corner. Colton escaped Riley and aggressively snatched the blood bag from Colette's hands. He tore it open with his teeth and drank.

"No!" Riley yelled. She attempted to stop him, but he pushed her away. He was almost like an animal and Violet couldn't take her eyes off of him. She was motionless as she watched him rapidly drain the bag. When the blood was almost finished, his eyes flashed at her. Colette acted immediately and kicked him straight in the chest.

She didn't turn around but said, "Run. Go as far away as you can before it's too late." Colette continued to attack but failed miserably. He was too fast. Colette stumbled to the ground in pain. "Aiden! Delsin!" she desperately cried.

Violet should've ran earlier. She shouldn't have lingered because she was frightened. She was dumb and Colton was running straight at her.

Gunshots were heard from behind. Colton staggered and groaned. It was Aiden who held a gun in his hand. "What the hell have you gotten yourself into?" he asked.

Before her eyes, Colton shut his eyes and fell backwards. "He's okay now," Delsin mumbled.

Riley ran towards Colton's body in tears.  Soon, the tears dried and shifted to rage. Her attention was now on Violet who was trembling at the sight of the massive blood pool.  "This is all your fault! You just had to get him upset and now look what you've caused." Her hands reached for Violet's throat once more, but Aiden tugged her back.

Violet didn't even realize what was going on. The vivid display of his body stole her attention. It wasn't Colton. She observed him as his blood oozed out of the bullet wounds in the color of pure scarlet. 

"Hey! Are you listening to me? Snap out of it."

Violet turned away from the disturbing view and looked up at Aiden.

"You should go back to your room," he said.

"I don't know where it is." Violet was barely speaking.

"It doesn't matter. Just find a room. We'll take care of this."

She didn't want to ask any more questions and walked away in terror. It was true. They weren't human.

Colton woke up in his room with the windows covered by curtains, leaving him in complete darkness. He was eager to get up and reveal the warm sun to his skin. It was still morning right? Colton yelped when he tried to lift his weight off the bed. With his sharp vision, he immediately noticed the bullet wounds in his stomach. He stared at them for a while before it all hit him. Shit, he thought. He sprung up from his bed, despite the horrible pain, pulled the door open, and knocked on the door across from his. 

"Colton?" Riley whispered from the door crack. She stepped out and looked at his wounds. "Are you okay? I've been worried sick."

"I'm fine, but I need you to tell me where Violet is."

"No, you're going to try and attack her again."

Colton sighed and started to run off.

"No, wait! You're not okay yet!" she hollered.

"Yes, I am! I'm sure of it," he said.

He went door to door looking for her. He had to explain. He had to do something. He didn't want her to be scared of him.

He knew it was her room when the door was locked and when he knocked, she asked, "Who is it?"

Colton didn't want to answer and simply stood there silently. When the door knob turned and her head poked out, her instant reaction was to scream. He caught the door before she slammed it shut.

"Get away from me!" she screamed and ran to protect herself with a chair.

"I'm not here to hurt you," he tried to explain, but she wasn't having it.

Tears formed in her eyes and she began to shake. Colton had never seen her so horrified in her life.

"Leave her," a voice said from behind. He spun around to see Aiden's tired eyes. "You both need your rest, and you and I need to talk."

Aiden shut the door and directed them to their usual meeting place away from Violet's presence. "You were out of control, Colton."

He sighed and sat down on the weak sofa that they found off the streets. "I didn't know I would snap so easily. I should've stopped myself."

"But you didn't," Aiden said.

Colton nodded. "I know."

"You're the leader. Get a damn hold of yourself," Aiden said, frustrated.

"I know!" Colton slammed his fist to the coffee table. "I know that."