Chapter 29

Violet woke up to the sound of birds chirping. The sun beamed down on her face and people were starting to mingle outside. She squinted her eyes and looked both ways in the alley to find it completely empty. Where was Aiden? She had no idea whether it would be best to just sit there or go find him. What if he was in danger? The thought was erased as her stomach began to growl noisily. She needed breakfast, but her pockets were empty.

Just as Violet thought her world was about to end, Aiden returned and threw a wrapped object at her head.

"Eat up," he simply said.

She had never been happier in her entire life. Lifting up the McDonald's wrapper unveiled a warm, soft cheeseburger begging to be eaten. "Thank you," she muttered before digging in.

Aiden stood there awkwardly as the girl practically devoured the burger whole. He made a face and backed away. "I've never seen someone eat like that before."

Finishing up, she wiped her mouth with her sleeve and frowned. "I feel like throwing up."

He shook his head. "Serves you right."

Violet coughed and threw the wrapper in the trash. "Where were you earlier?" she asked.

"I had to get my own food."

She nodded, not needing any further explanations. "So what now?"

"They're still fixing the car so we should keep walking further to get to them quicker," he suggested.

Violet winced when she took a step forward. "I don't know if I can keep this up. I have blisters on my feet."

He raised his right foot in the air. "So do I but I'm not complaining."

She had to accumulate strength in order to endure the pain. Her feet were probably red by now because each step felt like her feet were burning. Violet eyed Aiden a few times, but he appeared distant in his own bubble with the back of his head facing her. It was as if their talk from last night had never occurred. Pedestrians probably assumed they were just strangers coincidentally walking in the same direction.

They were about thirty minutes into the walk when a taxi cab stopped them. "Do you guys need a ride?" The driver wore thick glasses with slicked back hair, which was quite appealing for the guy.

Aiden turned to Violet. "I only have a few dollars left. Should we really waste it on this?" he whispered.

"Yes, please." She was desperate to relieve the horrendous foot pain even if it was just for a little while.

"We're going to need a ride up north," Aiden told the driver.

They both got in the taxi and fastened their seat belts.

"I'm Derek," announced the driver. "What are your names?"

"I'm Donovan and she's Haven," Aiden answered.

Derek stepped on the gas and the taxi set off with incredible speed. "It's nice to meet you two."

Violet tried to contain herself from vomiting up her burger. Derek was going pass the speed limit and she felt a little carsick. "Please slow down sir," she begged.