Chapter 25

"So how do we get out of here?" Violet whispered. It felt like an hour had passed since she woke up. They were still in the dark and it had been silent ever since their argument. "I'm starving."

He laughed. "Right, you're starving. You should start worrying, you know. When you starve a vampire, you never know how they'll react."

Violet scooted away uncomfortably. "Quiet down. There's a possibility they're listening to every word we say."

"Okay and? What am I supposed to do about that?"

She rolled her eyes, glad he couldn't see and mumbled, "Fine, whatever."

Loud footsteps were approaching and suddenly, all the lights turned on, revealing an empty, gray room with multiple chains aligning the border of the floor. Aiden was close to her right and the blonde lady from before stood at the doorway across the room.

Her hair was done in a bun with loose strands covering her thick goggles. "Good evening." She gave them a fake smile. "Let me properly introduce myself. I'm-"

"What the do you want from us?" Violet said angrily.

"-Esther Benson." Her smile faded as she dropped the act and tossed a blood bag to their feet. "We know what you are."

Aiden eyed the bag, but resisted. He smiled, feeling entertained. "And what is that?"

"We know you were looking for Scarlet Adams. Other than us, only the injected would be doing that."

He raised his eyebrows. "Who are the injected?"

She pulled on a pair of blue gloves. "Don't play dumb. We already sent pictures of you two to Victor. It's approved. You're one of them." She turned and nodded at Violet. "He says you're still human." There was dead silence. "Violet Ledgerwood?"

Violet slowly nodded. Esther seemed to already know who she was which was unsettling.

Esther clapped. "I almost didn't recognize you with that hair, but it really is you on those posters. You resemble your mother." She let out a laugh. "Now what the hell were your parents thinking?"

Confused, Violet asked, "What do you mean? How do you know my parents?"

The questions amused her. "Are you kidding? Thomas and Liz were the best members here. After having their first child, they quit, which is why I don't understand why you're here right now. Your parents would never allow it."

Violet couldn't register the new information. Her parents? The Silvers? There was no way. It didn't make sense...but at the same time it did. Putting all of it together, it sounded believable, but what if Esther was lying? "I don't know what my parents have to do with this. Just let me go."

Esther didn't move. "First, tell me why you're here with these people. Are they holding you hostage? Are you a blood donor?"

"Nobody's holding me hostage but you," she replied.

"Playing hard to get? You're everywhere on the news. Your parents are holding a cash reward for anyone who finds you and I'm starting to think maybe I should contact them."

Her goal before was to escape Colton's group and go home, but now that she suspected her parents might've been involved with The Silvers, she wanted nowhere near them. "Don't."

"Then tell me, why did you run away?"

Violet sighed. "It's personal, alright?"

Aiden cleared his throat. "Excuse me, but I'm completely innocent here."