Chapter 30

"No smoking on the bus!" the bus driver yelled at Aiden.

He pulled the cigarette away from his lips, blowing the smoke directly towards the young, male driver. "My bad." He smiled and put the box of cigarettes away. "Damn, I'm running out fast."

Violet coughed at the smoke and felt embarrassed as the other passengers stared in disbelief of his behavior. "You need to learn some manners." she told him. 

He shrugged and then yawned. "I put it away didn't I?"

She rolled her eyes and looked back at the outside view from the window. Their current plan was to slowly bus up north until they couldn't anymore. It was a sloppy plan but that's how it goes when things are thought out last minute. "Just go with the flow," Aiden had said. Somehow Violet felt like that advice wasn't much help. The bus fell silent and Aiden was fast asleep so she decided to take a nap as well.

"Violet! Wake. The. Hell. Up."

She blinked her eyes a few times and squinted at the blurry figure. "What?" Her eyes adjusted to Aiden standing in front of her with the bus driver right behind him.

Aiden pointed to the driver. "He's kicking us out. We've reached the end of his bus journey." 

The driver grunted. "I just want to go home."

Violet rubbed her eyes and stretched. "Alright then." Pushing herself off the seat, they exited the bus. She noticed everybody else had already left and it was dark out. Being fully rested, it was a surprise to see how exhausted Aiden appeared. "Are you alright?"

At first, he turned to her looking puzzled, but then shook his head. "I need to drink."

She gulped and stood there awkwardly as the bus behind them drove off. "So now what?"

He coughed weakly. "I think I'll get someone off the streets. That's what I did in the morning."

Remaining silent, Violet just stood there. Did she have to see him do it? Luckily, he already thought ahead.

"We'll keep walking until we approach a destination. You'll wait somewhere and I'll go on with my business," Aiden said.

"Right," she replied while they resumed walking.

There was a small plaza and shopping center with minimal customers roaming around as they walked by. The overall aesthetic of the area was very colorful and bright, which was strange to see after walking in the middle of nowhere for awhile. The vibrant colors became more vivid as they got closer.

"I really need to use the restroom," Violet announced while spotting a bathroom in the distance.

Aiden already began rushing away towards the stores. "Go. I'll come get you later," he ordered.

She found it ironic how the plaza had a happy and innocent appeal, yet what Aiden was about to do was the exact opposite. After he disappeared from her view, Violet hopped her way to the restroom hoping she wouldn't leak her pants.

When she stepped out the door, Aiden was leaning against a water fountain and threw her a bag of jalapeño chips. "Let's go." He looked better, so she assumed it was all done with.

"Where do we go now?" she asked.

With a smirk, he pulled out a roll of cash. "The guy had a few stacks and I decided to kindly accept some of it. We can stay at a motel tonight."