Elsewhere |1|

Ellie Moore

I walked behind Daryl as we a walked down a random trail. He told me stories about when he was younger and how my mom and him were taught to hunt.

"Here." He turned towards me, "Point your arrow where you want to shoot." He instructed.

I pointed and he walked behind me helping me pull back the string.

I aimed, then once the words let go came out of his mouth I let my finger off the white string. The squirrel we were hunting fell off the tree and I smiled.

Daryl ruffled my hair and we ran towards the now dead squirrel. He picked it up hooking it to my belt, where the rest of squirrels were.

"Let's start heading back okay." He said.

I nodded and we started our way back to camp.

•••

We were on our way home when we saw a deer. "We need that." Daryl nodded slightly, "Stay on the trail. It will lead you back home." He said not even giving me a glance.

I nodded and began walking.

I made it back by the afternoon and everyone was doing their daily duties. I walked passed Sophia and Carl. They gave me strange looks but I ignored them the best I could.

Carl was my best friend before the apocalypse. We stopped talking after a fight we got into about his new girlfriend, Holly Winters.

I walked over to Dale and he helped me up on the RV, "How's my favorite Dixon?"

Everyone calls me a Dixon because I act like him. I basically grew up with him. He's like my dad, but I call him my uncle because I know he has daddy issues. I never met my father, Daryl says he wasn't worth it.

He smiled.

"Good I guess." I shrugged.

"Where's Daryl didn't you go out with him?" The old man asked.

"He's tracking a deer." I sat down next to him.

"I got you something." Dale smiled brightly, "It's the book you were looking for." He handed me the book titled Out of the Dust.

I thanked him and opened up the dusty book.

"Why don't you go give Shane those squirrels okay," Dale told me.

I nodded and stood up. I made my way down the steps.

I looked around for Shane but didn't see him. I saw Carl walking around with a stick hitting it against trees.

"Do you know where Shane is?" I asked once I reached him.

He mumbled something under his breath before glaring at me.

I gave him a confused looked, "Can you just tell me or at least show me so I can give him this." I held up tonight's possible dinner.

"He's down there by the tents. I would wait. He with my mom, she's in a bad mood." Carl said breaking the stick. "I can handle your mom." I turned around walking down the hill to the tents. Once I reached them I called out for Shane.