Chapter 5

Sherlock argued with John for ten minutes about calling Maggie. Eventually, Sherlock ended up taking the phone from John and talking to Maggie himself.

"Happy now?" John asked as Sherlock hung up.

"Yes. As a matter of facts yes, I am rather happy now." Sherlock grinned quickly as if to prove he was 'happy'. He replaced the grin with a frown as he turned back to the newspaper he held in his hand.

"So, when and where?" John asked and sat down on the couch.

Sherlock looked up from his newspaper. "When and where, what?" He asked rather seriously.

"Dinner. With Maggie. You do remember that, right?" John asked making sure Sherlock wasn't going bonkers already.

He gave John a confused look before it was replaced with wide eyes and a mouth that stood slightly agape.

"Oh my god! I actually have something to do! Oh joy!" He smiled and jumped up from his chair.

The newspaper was trampled by his bare feet as he ran to his room to change.

John sighed heavily and stood up to grab the rumpled newspaper.

"Don't touch that! That's my newspaper!" Sherlock's voice made the army doctor jump and look over to see Sherlock tucking in his button up shirt. Sherlock quickly moved over to where John was standing and looked down at the newspaper.

Sherlock bent down and stopped just before he touched it. He straightened and backed up a few steps. He tilted his head slightly and looked at the newspaper.

"Sherlock, you alright?" John asked and took a slow step closer to the mad man.

"Shhh, stop talking John! Your voice is interrupting my thoughts." Sherlock said and held a finger up as if it would silence his friend.

John stood there and watched him look at the newspaper.

"Oh for god's sake, Sherlock! It's a newspaper!" John shouted with frustration clear in his voice.

"I'm on the cover." Sherlock said with a flat tone.

He swiftly picked up the paper and looked at the front page.

"You didn't notice that before?" John asked and looked at the picture of Sherlock on the front.

"I don't read the front page often. It's too obvious." He muttered and looked at the picture. "What is it with the hat?" He asked and looked at John.

"I don't know. People like it." John guessed.

"It's got ear flaps. What the hell are they helpful for?" He continued. "It's more like a death frisbee if you ask me."

"Yes Sherlock, I get it! You don't like the hat! You don't have to wear it!" John shouted, becoming impatient.

"It's not even mine." Sherlock continued.

John groaned and sat back down.

John picked up his cup of tea that he had abandoned at the beginning of the argument of the phone.

He ignored the rest of Sherlock's dialogue and focused on sipping his tea.

John was excited to meet Maggie again. He knew nothing about her and Sherlock's relationship so it should be interesting.

"When and where?" Sherlock's voice made John jump.

"What?" John asked, still slightly stunned.

"Dinner. When and where?" Sherlock asked.