Chapter 10-Maggie's POV

My eyes shot open and I looked up at the white ceiling. The sterile smell said I was in a hospital and I didn't like that one bit.

I sat up quickly and looked around. The room was empty except for the bed, two chairs that have recently been sat on judging by the impressions in the cheap cushions. A heartbeat monitor which I struggled to keep it steady as if I were still asleep. It didn't work though.

I heard murmured conversations fade in and out on the other side of the door.

I looked down and saw an IV in my arm. I yanked it out and gritted my teeth at the pain spreading from my shoulder and head. Apparently, bombs can hurt.

I heard footsteps approaching my door and I quickly hid my arm, that I had pulled the IV from, underneath the white blanket and laid back down. I closed my eyes just as the door opened.

I made my breathing deep and steady as the footsteps approached my bed.

I listened to the person's breathing as they sat down in the chair to my right.

"So, uh, I know you probably can't hear me but I just need someone to know this." John's voice made me relax slightly, knowing it wasn't some killer helped a bit.

"Well uh, the baby wasn't injured by the way. Sherlock had found it in the basement of the church and got it out before the bomb went off. And uh, the Priest is dead, obviously." John paused before continuing. "Well um, I'm glad that you're here. I mean, not here, but in London. Sherlock hasn't been so distant ever since you showed up. I guess he needed a reminder of when he was younger and more...human."

John's voice cracked at the end as if he were struggling to keep back tears.

"I know I haven't known you for long, but I'm really glad I met you." John cleared his throat. I felt his arms settle on the edge of my bed. His hand was placed on top of mine and he held it tightly.

I was rather surprised that John even thought of visiting me. I haven't ever had a real friend other than Sherlock and Mycroft. It was nice knowing that someone cared enough to come. Not even my parents came.

I heard the door click open and John's warm hand slipped out of mine quickly.

"Hey Sherlock." John said, trying to be cheerful but failed rather miserably.

"John." Sherlock greeted in a deep voice and I felt his presence on the left side of my bed.

I was starting to get antsy being in the same position for so long but I wanted to listen for a bit longer. Hear what they have to say while I'm supposedly knocked out.

I remained still and kept my breathing steady and slow. My heartbeat monitor was still a bit fast. I knew that Sherlock knew that I was awake. He wouldn't be that naive to miss that observation.

A silence filled the room but I knew they were both looking at me. My face was emotionless and relaxed as I lay there, pretending to sleep.

"When did you and Maggie become friends? I mean, I can see how since you're so alike but...you're not exactly the most social person in the world." John broke the silence.

Sherlock sighed slightly and i heard him sit down on the chair next to me.

"I protected her. Saved her life back in the eighth grade. She was always bullied for being smart and everyone made fun of her geeky little glasses. I noticed her a few times in the hall but never talked to her. She was in my chemistry class and got every question right. One day I was headed for chemistry and I saw her pinned against the locker and some girl was holding her there. I never did get her name but I heard from some random kid in the hall about how Maggie knew everything about the girl and she just went off on Maggie." Sherlock cleared his throat slightly. "Well I didn't want her to get hurt anymore and we soon became friends. Simple as that."