Chapter 32-John's POV

I was walking back from Maggie's flat when my phone rang. I answered it and held it to my ear.

"Hello?" I said into the phone and readjusted the grocery bag in my right hand while I held the phone in my left.

"Look to your left." The voice ordered. I slowly looked to the left and saw a shop selling televisions. The picture blurred until I showed up on the screen. I saw the shock on my face as I watch the live feed play on the screen. There's only person I know who could do that.

"In the mood for showing off, Mycroft?" I asked into the phone.

Mycroft chuckled. "I'm not my brother, John."

I kind of agreed with him and continued walking down the street.

"Why are you calling me, Mycroft?" I asked.

"I need to talk to you. Get in the car." He ordered just as a black sleek car pulled up next to me.

I groaned and climbed reluctantly into the car with the bag of groceries still in my hand.

I hung up on Mycroft and offered a small smile to Mycroft's assistant. Still on that blasted phone. What the hell does she do all day? Text?

She smiled back at me slightly, pausing in her texting for once. I was surprised but she got back to texting right away. There goes that moment.

I settled for staring out the window as we drove to Mycroft's office. I watched the door to 221b pass by quickly and I briefly wondered what had happened with Sherlock and Maggie.

What got Maggie so upset? She never showed her emotions like that other than when Sherlock fell. Did something happen to Sherlock? No, Maggie would have told me. Right?

Once I could see Mycroft's office looming up ahead, I started to feel antsy. What did he want to see me for? Did it have something to do with the case?

The car stopped in front of the large building and I stepped out onto the pavement. I didn't bother to check if Mycroft's assistant would follow, she never did. I don't know why she's in the car when all she does is text.

I pushed the thought out of my mind. That woman was the least of my worries. Now I had to focus on Mycroft and what he could possibly want from me.

My footsteps were muffled on the thick carpet under my shoes. I went down the hallway and into Mycroft Holmes's office.

"Hello John. Please have a seat."Mycroft said, while leaning back in his black and comfortable chair.

"No, I think I'm fine standing. Whatever you have to say can't take that long." I said, standing beside the chair in front of his desk. I would prefer not to feel like a child especially besides Mycroft Holmes.

"Suit yourself." Mycroft shrugged and turned his computer screen around. I leaned in closer to see the picture better.

It was Maggie and Sherlock seated in a cab. The video was only a few minutes long. Why was Mycroft showing me this?

"So? They're in a cab. What's wrong with that?" I asked, shrugging.

"It's not the fact that they're in a cab, it is what's said that worries me." Mycroft said. He touched the button to play the video.

Suddenly they were moving. The clear picture made it feel like it was just a window. I watched the video intently.

"You barely ever see him, Sherlock. He's your brother and my friend. Just because you hold a grudge against him doesn't mean you should up and forget about him completely." Maggie said with anger clear in her dark blue eyes.

Sherlock whipped his head around to look at her. "Me? Hold a grudge against someone as meaningless as Mycroft? Sometimes I wonder if you know me at all. Perhaps you should have never come back. Go to Mycroft if you want, but I work alone." Sherlock snapped and just as he finished talking, the cabbie stopped in front of Scotland Yard.

Maggie narrowed her eyes at him and I could see the hurt in her expression. " Fine, Sherlock, I won't bother you anymore. Have fun solving the case on your own." Maggie snapped and pushed open her cab door. She slammed it behind her once she got out and she stormed down the street.

Sherlock sat in the cab for a while longer. He put his head in his hands and let out a frustrated groan.

"Sir? Are you alright?" The cabbie asked Sherlock. Sherlock didn't remove his hands from his head.

"I know you're seeing this, Mycroft." Sherlock mumbled and looked up directly at the camera. His expression looked vulnerable and upset.

Sherlock let out a sigh before reaching for the camera, knocking out the signal.

I hadn't realized that I had sat down in the chair. Mycroft stopped the video and the fuzzy screen shut off.

"How did you get that video?" I asked.

"The cabbie is a...friend of mine. He keeps videos of everyone he drives in case something important happens that I should know about." Mycroft explained.

I just nodded.

"Why are you showing me this, anyway?" I asked.

Mycroft sighed as if disappointed that I didn't catch onto the answer of my own question. "I haven't seen Sherlock...feel...about anyone in a very long time. Maggie is the only person he's cared for in a very long time. You and Maggie are the only two that seem to get close to him without him pushing you away. I don't want Sherlock to lose one of the people he truly cares for." Mycroft said.

"So what can I do about that?" I asked.

"Make sure Sherlock and Maggie make up. I don't care what you have to do, just make Sherlock apologize to Maggie or something." Mycroft suggested.

I let out a sigh. Sherlock apologize? Not very likely.

I nodded and stood to leave.

"Oh and John?" Mycroft said as I took a few steps toward the door.

"What?" I asked.

"Don't forget your groceries." Mycroft nodded towards the paper bag next to the chair. I huffed and picked the bag up off the floor. Without looking at Mycroft, I left his office and closed the door behind me.

I was followed by two rather beefy men as I made my way outside. I cast them nervous glances and hurried to get out of their piercing stares.

I hate meeting with Mycroft.

I hailed over a cab and prayed that I had enough money to get me home.

I settled in the back seat and felt my phone vibrate. I swear if it's Mycroft...

My thoughts wandered off as I looked at the caller ID.

It was Mary.

"Mary?" I answered the phone.

"Hello John. I was just calling to see how you were doing." Mary's voice said.

"I'm fine. Same as ever I guess." I answered.

"Well, I have terrific news." Mary laughed excitedly.

"What's the news?" I asked, putting equal excitement into my voice although I hardly felt excited.

"I might be coming home early." She said.

"That's terrific! Why? Did something happen?" I asked.

"No. I just figured I shouldn't leave you for such a long time right before we're married." Mary said.

"Sweetheart, if you want to be with your family, we have all the time in the world to be together. I doubt your parents and other relatives would want to move here." I said.

"Don't you want me to come home?" Mary's excitement died in her voice.

"No, I'm not saying that at all. It's just...there's a lot going on right now." I said and scratched the back of my head.

"What's wrong? Did something happen?" Mary asked, concerned.

"We're in the middle of a case and...I probably won't be home for most of the time. I just don't want you to be alone, Mary." I said with a small sigh.

"What's the case about?" She asked.

"A body went missing from a hearse. We have a suspect but...nothing is certain." I informed her.

"Oh. Well let me know when it's resolved so I can come home." Mary said.

"I will. I miss you, Mary." I said, looking out of the window. The flat is only a minute away.

"I miss you, too, John. I wish you were here with me." Mary said softly.

"I wish I was too. Well, I gotta go. I will call you when I get the chance." I promised.

"You better. I love you." Mary said.

"I love you, too." I smiled and waited for her to hang up before hitting the end button.

Just as I rolled up the flat, I saw papers being tossed everywhere from the windows on the second floor.

Oh, not again.