Tomorrow

My phone lit up the darkened room like lightning. I reached over, rubbing the blurriness out of my eyes.

I peered into the screen, recognizing Link's contact, calling me. I checked the time.

3:56 a.m.

What could Link need at this time of night? I crawled out of bed, shutting myself in the bathroom.

"Hello?" I asked into the phone. I could immediately hear sniffles and muffled sobs.

"H-hey Rhett. Sorry for calling. I-it's late, I can talk to y-you tomorrow," Link's shaky voice croaked.

"No, you're fine. What's wrong?" I asked him, splashing some water in my face.

"I don't know... C-Christy just acted normal tonight. I just thought she would give in to the guilt that you caught her, and tell me... B-but she didn't. Just hurts," Link sighed. His tired voice made me want to drive to his house, just to give him a hug.

"Well where are you right now?" I asked.

"In the bathroom. Since she's acting normal, I'm trying to act normal too. It's just too much though... I can usually go to sleep right away, but tonight the thoughts just ate away at my brain," Link explained, sniffling.

"I get it man. We're all gonna talk tomorrow, wether Christy wants to or not," I told him.

"I-I thought I'd be relieved knowing they'd been having an affair, cause we kissed, right?" Link asked for reassurance.

"Right," I said, unsure of where he was going with this.

"Well we only kissed, I don't know what all they did," Link said, breaking down after finishing his sentence.

The bathroom doorknob turned behind me. I turned around, meeting Jessie's bloodshot, puffy eyes.

"Rhett? Who are you talking to?" she asked. I should've slept on the couch, so she wouldn't catch me talking to Link. Too late now.

"Link, he had something to tell me. I'll be back in a second..." I whispered to her. She shuffled out of the room, closing the door behind her.

I took Link's words into consideration.

What if that's not all they did? What if you weren't good enough? What if she never loved you?

I choked back hot tears, turning my attention back onto Link.

"Try to get some sleep, Link. It'll be okay," I promised him.

"Okay. Goodnight Rhett," Link said.

"G'night Link."

I reluctantly hit the 'end call' button. I pushed all of my thoughts to the back of my head, returning to the bed. I faced my back against Jessie's, trying to return the the deep sleep I was once in.

Whatever has been going on, we'd figure it all out tomorrow.