Deal

"Rhett. Link."

I opened my groggy eyes. Link's arm twitched, as it slowly pulled away from my torso.

I looked towards the doorway, meeting Jessie and Christy's eyes.

Link and I were still in our clothes from today's date. My eyes remained puffy, as he made me explain why I felt like a failure. As much as his reassuring words helped, they hurt me too. The small voices in the back of my head insisted he was lying, and I couldn't help but believe them.

"Downstairs, please."

I wiped at the dried tear streaks on my face, pulling my ring out of my pocket.

"Now."

Link and I scurried away from the covers. We both must've fallen asleep after our conversation. The last thing I remember was Link rubbing my head, singing old Lionel Richie songs to me.

I put my ring on, following Jessie and Christy down the stairs, Link trailing close behind.

I looked towards the living room, where the kids were patiently awaiting our arrival.

Christy sat on the couch, Link and Jessie sitting on either side of her. It was obvious Jessie wasn't happy with me.

I hesitantly sat next to Link, as it was the only spot left.

"Shep, ask daddy the question you asked me," Jessie demanded.

I looked at my blonde haired, baby boy. His eyes were red and puffy like mine.

"D-do you and mommy hate each other?" he asked, sniffling.

I jumped out of my seat, crouching in front of him. I brushed a blonde curl out of his face.

"God, no, Shep, why would you think that?" I asked. I didn't know if it was because I was exhausted, or genuinely upset, but a hot tear escaped through the corner of my eye.

"Well, Locke told me that you were gon' get divorced," he said, wiping away at a small tear.

I could feel my whole body go numb. I looked over at Locke, who had the same tired eyes as Shepard. I extended my arms, letting the two curly headed kids huddle into my chest. I buried my face in their hair to hide the tears pouring out of my eyes.

I took Shep's place on the couch, facing Jessie. No tears. No expression. No ring.

I watched her swallow thickly.

It seemed like we sat there for centuries, just staring at each other.

Christy bowed her head down towards the floor, gathering Lincoln and Lando in her arms. Link lifted Lily onto the couch, concealing his face in his hands.

"You keep the kids, I keep the house," Jessie finally choked out.

I set Locke down, standing up from my seat. I rested Shep on my hip, his tears soaking into my shirt.

"No, Jessie, there is another way, we can't-"

"It's not working, Rhett!" she began to raise her voice.

"We can't abandon the kids like this!" I yelled, matching her volume.

"You're taking the kids, it's easier this way."

"Jessie, we can't-"

"YES WE CAN, RHETT!"

I sat back down, protecting Locke behind me.

Christy stood up, carrying a screaming Lando upstairs.

"You keep the kids, I keep the house," Jessie repeated.

"Jessie, it's not that simple-"

"Take 'em, or they're in an orphanage."

I gripped onto to Locke's hand.

"You keep the kids, I-"

"Deal."