Just One Week

"Hey," I whispered to Link, quickly kissing him on the cheek. "Thanks for letting us stay here for the week."

"Of course, sorry about Jessie..." Link murmured, grabbing my bag out of my hands.

"Hey, Link," Locke mummbled.

"Hi Uncle Link!" Shepard exclaimed.

"Hi guys! Locke, Lincoln is super excited that you're here. He's got plans for a Nerf battle and stuff. Maybe Shepard and Lilly can join?" Link suggested, tossing Locke's curly hair.

"Yeah, sure..."

I watched Locke and Shepard scurry up the steps, leaving Link and I alone in the living room.

"How's Locke takin' it?" Link asked, leading me to the guest bedroom.

"Not good. He's obviously upset about it, but I think he'll pull through it soon."

"What's bothering him the most?"

"He think's Jessie hates 'im... I'm trying to get him to snap out of that, cause I don't wanna make her the villian... It's both of us who are to blame," I mumbled, sitting on the small bed. It was a nice guest bedroom. A desk, a small T.V..

"I don't know, Rhett..." Link whispered, sitting next to me.

"What?" I asked. I tried to meet Link's eyes, but he glued his eyes to the floor.

"It's just..."

"Oh, Rhett..." Christy gasped, sheepishly entering the room. I stood up, and she wrapped her arms around me.

"I'm so sorry," she sobbed into my shirt. "You didn't know, none of this is your fault. Jessie couldn't take two relationships anymore..."

I broke the hug between us, trying to understand.

Jessie never spoke to me about a divorce before, it just... Happened. Right there, in front of everyone.

"S-she told me she couldn't handle lying to herself anymore... She said she... she-"

"What, Christy?"

"She said the only good thing about you is that you introduced me to her. I feel awful Rhett, I didn't mean for any of this to happen, I just-"

"Christy. It's okay," I interrupted, trying to calm her down.

She wiped at her damp eyes, grabbing my left hand.

"There should be a ring there, Rhett," she muttered.

"But there isn't, and that's okay. If Jessie wanted it, then... It needed to happen."

She let go of my hand, and quietly began to leave the room.

"I'll leave you guys alone for a while, the kids are outside playing... I'm sorry, Rhett."

She shut the door behind her.

She's not telling you the truth. You're the one to blame.

I know that.

Jessie hated you, and now you've torn your family apart. Good job.

I didn't want this to happen.

Yeah, right.

"Rhett?" Link choked out, placing his hand on my knee.

Warm tears slipped past the corners of my eyes.

I let out an ugly gasp for air as Link wrapped his arms around me. He held me close to his body, gently rubbing my back.

"Christy didn't say that to upset you, she said that to let you know she thinks it not fair to you. It's not, you know that, right?" Link asked, releasing our hug to meet my eyes.

"Right?" he asked again, holding the back of my neck.

"Link, it's my fault."

"No it's not. Rhett, look at me," he demanded. I met his sky blue eyes. "It's not you fault."