Connected

"How long did you know?" Link whispered into the still room.

The kids all went to bed, and after many late nights of searching for homes, my sleeping schedule wasn't the same. Link agreed to stay up with me, to hopefully lull me to sleep.

His fingers tangled in my hair, his light body snuggled close to mine.

"I've always had a connection with you," I mumbled. "I didn't know what it was, though..."

"I guess I've always kinda' known too," he murmured, burying his face into my shoulder.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah... I was never really attracted to anyone. Like you said, it was more of a connection between us more than anything else," Link explained.

"Hey Link?"

"Yeah?"

"What do you think'll happen?"

"What do 'ya mean?"

I bit down on my bottom lip, trying to find the best way to explain what I was thinking.

"What do you think will happen between Jessie and I? And the kids?"

Link stayed silent for a while, lightly kissing my neck.

"I don't know, Rhett..." he paused. "What do you want to happen?"

"I want to wake up from this nightmare..." I muttered, turning on my side to face the raven-haired man. "Locke will never look at Jessie and I the same way again."

"Yes he will... It just takes time, Rhett."

"But what if-"

I was cut off by Link's lips slamming into mine.

"It'll work out... Even if it doesn't we'll always have eachother, okay?" Link asked, holding my cheek in his hand. His thumb gently brushed against my skin.

"Okay," I smiled, leaning closer to Link's body. "Do you think things will ever be the same? Between Jessie and I?"

Link sighed, his dark hair tickling my face. "I'm not sure..."

"Link," I whispered, swallowing thickly. "What if that happens to us? What if we end it?"

Link positioned himself so he was looking at me directly in the eyes.

"I don't know about you, but I never want us to end. We've been best friends since the first grade, and I don't plan on our friendship being over anytime soon. I love you, Rhett."

Smiling, I brought Link's body closer to mine, lightly brushing my lips against his.

"I love you too, Link."