Chapter 4

I woke to a bright day, today was my final assessment so I could become a warrior. If I passed I wouldn't have to do water duty and get water for the others, I was in the clearing when Thornstar came up to me.
"Let's get going," he said some worry in his voice.
"Why are you worried?" I asked.
"If you fail after all I taught you I will look stupid and the clan will think I am not a good enough leader," Thornstar said, we got to the spot where the others were waiting. Our mentors dismissed us and I ran towards the lake, I saw a squirrel and started to stalk it, it bolted up a frosted tree. I chased it and caught it, I dropped it to the ground when I heard a screech from above, I looked and saw an eagle. It swooped at me and my only escape was to jump, I jumped and mid air it caught me and I yowled, it was taking me higher when my mentor came out of the trees.
"HELP ME!" I yowled. He was chasing us, I could tell he wouldn't be able to save me but he wouldn't stop trying. The eagle took my above adder rocks when it dropped me, I yowled in fear and the thought of dieing came to mind. I hit the ground but not as hard as expected, it felt cushioned by something. I looked and saw my mother, her pelt was full of shadows and she put me down, Thornstar appeared and looked at her greatfully.
"Thank you for saving her," Thornstar said.
"I would save my daughter a million times before I let her die," Mapleshade said, Thornstar looked surprised.
"Your her mother?" He asked.
"Indeed I thought she died when my mate appledusk made me drop her in a river, I died trying to reunite with her and her siblings but it never happened so I will save her always now go before the eagle comes back," Mapleshade said fading, I went back to hunting than went back to camp, the claw marks on my back would stay there for life. That's night I didn't see my mother, only I had a peaceful night. I woke and Thornstar called a meeting.
"All cats old enough to catch their own prey gather around to hear my words, we have three new warriors with us today, Branchpaw, Birdpaw and Maplepaw do you promise to uphold the warrior code and protect this clan even at the cost of your own lives?" Thornstar said in a strong voice.
"I do," we said all at the same time.
"Than by the power of starclan I give you your warrior names, Branchpaw from this moment on you shall be known as Branchfang, Birdpaw from this moment on you shall be known as Birdeye, Maplepaw from this moment on you shall be known as Maplefeather, starclan honours you and accept you as warriors of this clan," Thornstar said with pride.
"Branchfang, Birdeye, Maplefeather!" The clan shouted. Thornstar dismissed the clan and I went to go hunting, I got to the lake where I spotted the eagle and it was there looking at me hungrily, since it was leafbear it would be very hungry. I waited and waited, it didn't move until started to move, it swooped and only just missed me when I bit down on its wings. It screeched and flew higher and higher until the camp was tiny, I knew that if I fell I would die for sure so I held on for my life, it sensed that I was terrified of falling so it swooped towards the ground, it made my claws slip as we got near the ground and everything went black as I felt the pain of hitting a tree and than the ground. I woke in the dark forest, my mother was there, she had a blue fire in her paw.
"I can give your life back my child only if you kill Waterwish," she said with an evil grin.
"Why?" I asked my voice filled with fear.
" because I want her dead so do it or else!" Mapleshade shouted and I woke up in lots of pain, I yowled for help but my body couldn't move at all, the eagle came back and stood in front of me, it heard something and flew away. I saw Thornstar standing there fear in his eyes, I looked and saw I was covered in blood and dirt, the blood was mine for sure and I looked at him.
"WATERVOLE COME IMEADIATLY!" He shouted, Watervole soon appeared with some herbs but she took one look at me and dropped them, she was stunned but got to work. The pain was bad but I lived, once the blood was cleaned from my pelt I saw I had many scars and a broken front paw.
"Thornstar she is bad but she will still be able to be a warrior just if she has kits she may die," Watervole said sadness in her eyes, Thornstar nodded and I got up and we went back to camp.