chapter twenty-four

Weeks go by and Luke has been in and out of town. We hardly see each other anymore, I've turned 18 and spent my birthday alone.

Luke had an extravagant party planned and cancelled last minute for work. I guess I shouldn't be upset, I knew he only wanted me for sex.

That was it. I was just a toy to him and now that I'm used he doesn't want me anymore.

I lay in my bed, yes my bed, and stare at the ceiling. The silence taking over. My mind is blank and my soul is empty.

I decide since the sun is setting why not watch it from the roof top. I open my window and crawl out onto the shingles. I rest my back against the house and watch as the bright ball disappears behind the trees.

In the distance I hear a car door shut. Must be Luke, my heart jumps and races but I stay sitting down.

Why should I feel excited about him being home. All he's going to do is ignore me.

Luke comes upstairs and walks in my room, poking his head out my window.

"Hey, can we talk?"

I nod and climb back in my window.

"Proceed." I say quietly.

He clears his throat and looks at me.

"Do you still love me?"

"Yes why?"

I get anxious at his weird behavior.

"I just needed to know."

"you're being weird."

"Why do you want to be with someone older. you could have anyone your age."

"because you're different luke. I'm deeply in love with you. so shut up and quit being so difficult."

"I'm not trying to be I just worry that we won't work. you'll meet someone your age and realize that's what you want."

"I don't want someone my age. They could never be like you or replace you. you're my daddy."

"No one else can fill that place." I finish.

He stays silent.

"Luke."

He hums in response.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"Now fucking cuddle me." I demand.

"Someone's demanding all of the sudden."

"You've ignored me and left me alone for weeks, I have a right to be."

"I suppose that sounds fair." he scoops me up and takes me to our room. He lays me down and crawls behind me.

I love being the little spoon.

Luke rubs my arm with his fingers as his warm breath tickles my neck. He hums a song against my neck, causing my eyes to slowly close.

"Good night princess."

"Good night daddy."