chapter twenty six

I lay against the mattress out of breath, weak in the knees, and happy. Luke cuddles up to me and I lay there.

Damn that was some good sex.

"Jewel?" luke semi whispers.

I hum in response to him.

"Where do you see us going? like do you see us together forever or is this a thing?"

"I think we'll be together forever..why?"

"Well because I want to marry you."

My heart stops beating as I look over at him.

"what??"

"I love you to the moon and back, I don't want anyone else to have you. you're mine forever and always."

"Luke.."

"So, will you?" he gives me a small smile as he waits for my response.

"I uh. can we? are we even like allowed to do that in society?"

"what do you mean?" he chuckles.

"well everyone knows you were briefly my stepfather and now you're my legal guardian. So how would we be able to get married if you are legally my guardian. that would be suspicious."

"well, I think now that you are 18 you don't have to have a legal guardian. you could just go get it changed saying that I'm no longer your guardian. you're technically an adult now." he smiles and winks at me.

"i love you to the moon and back luke..but i don't know if i can marry you." my heart breaks as the words slip out of my mouth.

"what do you mean?" he looks at me heart broken and confused.

"i just i don't think we would work anymore if we were married. can't we just keep this going?"

"I uh, i need to go.." luke says quietly as he gets up from the bed.

"wait luke please stop."

"no i uh.."

"please don't leave me again."

"i'll be back."

"no you won't."

Luke looks at me knowing i'm right. He won't come back, he's losing control over me and he can't stand it.

"i love you." he says quietly as he vanishes.

Without letting me get a single word out he's gone. Those were the last words i ever heard from luke. Nothing hurt worse than hearing i love you for the last time.