7. The Whole School Was Abuzz

Time flies fast. Eyelids flutter open. Gasps are heard. It’s my own voice. I’m hanging upside down. I’m in my dorm room. It’s trashed. Windows are broken. The ropes cuts into my legs. It’s dark. It smells wet. The door opens. Here he comes. He looks at me. Like he wants to kill me. His short muscular body punches my face. His long dark brown hair is all I see. I recognize him. He reaches for my neck. I scream. He twists my head. I’m falling. Blackness. I hear him laugh. Nothing.

I felt arms tug at my chest. A worried face is before me, his breathing fast and scared.

“Kellin! Are you okay?” Vic gasped, kneeling beside me. He looked horrified, his mouth shaped in a little O.

It was just  a dream. Just a dream. “I’m fine.” I muttered back.

Vic shakes his head. “Look what you did to yourself! You’re not fine!” he exclaimed, pointing at my arms.

Oh. I didn’t even notice. My fingernails were buried deep into my palms. There was blood everywhere. Fresh bloody scratches protruded on my arms and I soon felt the pain.

“Are you okay?” he asked. I wasn’t too sure. I was so tired. And a bit shaken from the dream.

I nodded. He awkwardly sat beside me, not sure of what to say or do. I shivered from the early morning cold as I asked him something.

“Why are you up here?”

“Just came up here to think.” He replied, looking away. He had a troubled expression on his face and I knew that he was lying. “What about you?”

“I guess I came up here and fell asleep.” I muttered.

“Do you always have nightmares?” he asked me, his voice a whisper.

“Most of the time. But I have pills to control it. And I’m out of pills.” I told him.

He looked at me. “What do you dream about?”

I looked away. Sometimes I don’t even know. “I’m not even sure. Sometimes I forget but it must be that bad that I hurt myself.” I muttered sadly.

It was so cold that Vic had subconsciously pressed himself really close to me. I liked the warmth of his body. I really liked it.

I didn’t even understand why Vic talks to me sometimes. His friends think I’m a total loser and I’m sure most of the school does as well.

“Why do you even talk to me?” I decided to ask him.

He laughed. “You don’t want me to?”

I shrugged and he frowned.

“I just don’t get why.”