19. Meet Your New Friend, Paranoia

Things are getting worse. I feel like a ball of yarn being slowly unravled, so slowly to the point where it drives me mad. That night when I strangled Vic in his sleep was the last straw for me. Thankfully he was fine. I had broken into a fit of hysterical tears afterwards and he told me that it wasn't my fault as I didn't know that I was doing it. I was always filled with guilt when I saw the red marks on Vic's throat days afterwards. It got me thinking, will things get better or will they take a drastic turn for the worse?

The lack of sleep that I was getting had an impact on me. I wasn't feeling like myself physically and emotionally. That same day when I strangled Vic, I had seen something horrible in the window of the empty corridor. Those hallucinations got worse. I couldn't believe it when I began seeing things when I was wide awake. I was horrified when it first happened again as I was sitting in the cafeteria with Vic and the guys. I swear to god I had seen a dark enitity lingering at the double doors of the cafeteria. I stared at it in disbelief as the dark shadows moulded into a human shape. Vic then said something to me and when I looked back it was gone. Maybe it was from the lack of sleep but then again who knows?

The most terryifing experience so far was when I was in my English class. As usual, I hadn't gotten much sleep from the previous night so I was struggling to stay awake. The teacher's monotonic voice wasn't much health either. Vic was beside me, facing the teacher. I was thankful that Vic had changed all his classes to mine so he could look out for me. He didn't know about what I was seeing, he only knew that my sleeping patterns had become worse. My eyes were drifting to a close and the rythmic beat of my heart began to slow down. I opened my eyes for another second in a struggle to stay awake and what I saw certainly sent a chill down my bone. The teacher wasn't really my teacher. I mean, he was, except his face... it was horrifying.

His face was mutilated and bloodied. A lone eyeball popped out of it's socket, staring at me with it's glassy lifeless pupil. His cheeks had been slashed open to reveal all of his grimy razor sharp teeth. I could see his whole set of exposed teeth and it looked like some sort of demonic smile. We met eye contact and the look that he gave me sent chills into the very marrow of my bones, causing me to jump in my seat. He bared his teeth together and they made a rough scratchy noise, like fingernails on a chalkboard. His hands. Oh my god, his hands. Instead of fingernails there were long sharp claws. He emitted a low growl from the back of his throat and that was enough to set me in a panic. All of a sudden, all of the other students in the room turned to look at me. My throat was too dry for me to scream out anything. All of their faces were mutilated as well. I couldn't bare to look at the gruesome faces staring at me. I looked at Vic next to me and stiffled a sob back when I saw that it wasn't him. I didn't know who it was. He had the same hair as Vic but it wasn't him; it couldn't be. A pain-filled scream errupted from my lungs as he lunged towards me.

"Kellin!" I heard Vic cry as he wrapped his arms around me. The whole class was staring at me, whispering amongst themselves. The teacher looked at me in worry and I noticed that his face was perfectly fine. I was just seeing things. It wasn't real. I cried as I took in Vic's familiar scent and warm frame. My mind was a blur as Vic was told to take me back to our dorm room. I looked back at the teacher as we left the room and he bared his teeth at me, revealing a set of razor sharp daggers. That was it; I couldn't tell what was real anymore.

-

 A week later when I was feeling more or less better, I decided to call up my doctor. I had wanted to for a few days now but I was always afraid of what he might tell me. He picked up on the second ring. I told him about everything that happened and he suggested that it would be more helpful if we could meet up.

You could imagine my relief when I saw my doctor walk into the school office. He looked around for me and I quickly walked towards him. 

"Doctor Pritchett." I said, and he smiled warmly at me.