10. Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones

Silence hung like heavy rain in the small room. Vic looked at me in shock, his jaw slightly open. Within a second, his expression had changed, and it was as if he was wearing a mask. I couldn't read him at all. 

"I didn't know I was interrupting something." he muttered under his breath and turned to exit the room. Tay's eyes widened as she ran after him.

"Vic! Hold on!" she called, her voice fringed with deperation. She trailed after him like a lost puppy.

I spent the rest of the day catching up with my homework. I was by myself in the library, not interested in talking to anyone. Worry filled my head, and it was all I could think about. I hope he wasn't angry at me. I got back to my dorm at around 9 o clock, and I hoped that no one was in there. I opened the door to see Vic and Justin talking. They stopped as they saw me. Vic looked at me for a brief second, his face expressionless. 

"Well I got to get going. See ya later Justin." Vic said, standing up. Justin muttered back a goodbye and Vic walked past me, shoving me roughly against the door.

"Was that necessary?" I called after him, my voice tight with anger.

Justin looked up at me from his bed. "Did you guys have a fight?" he asked me. 

"I don't know."

"Well, don't worry about it. He'll probably be back to normal if you leave him alone for a few days... or weeks."

I grabbed my earphones and climbed into my bed. I muttered, "That's great."

-

I got my books out of my locker in the morning as per usual. I could hear a ruckus a few locker blocks down which was where Vic's gang's lockers were. They were causing trouble as usual, picking on smaller kids and what not. I gathered my books and headed towards them as my class room was on that side of the hall. I really wish there was another way to get to my class but of course there wasn't.

As I silently walked towards them, I could hear the cry of a younger kid. His books were sprawled across the floor as Tony and Jaime grabbed him. Mike started rummaging the kids bag, looking for something to steal. How low of him. Vic stood on the side and watched, his arms crossed, casually leaned against his locker. The kid was crying hysterically as Mike took off the kids glasses.

"I can't see without those!" he exclaimed.

"Does it look like I give a fuck?" Tony yelled in his face. The kid looked to be around 13 years old. He was lanky and skinny; the perfect target. Mike, unsatisfied with what he found in the pockets, let go of the kid and pushed him to ground.

"Scram." he told the kid. Let's just say the kid had balls. He got up and grabbed Mike by the back of his shirt. He raised his skinny fist and began pounding Mike's back.

"You little shit." Mike roared, turning around and violently grabbing the kid. "Pick on someone your own fucking size." He lifted the kid and slammed him hard against the locker. The kid groaned in agony.

I looked around. Everyone walked past casually, not wanting to be part of the scene. This was so wrong. The poor kid. People were so used to Vic's groups behaviour that this type of scene was accepted as the norm. I didn't know why I did this, but I did.

"Get off him!" I yelled, pulling Mike's hands off the kid. "You should go." I said to him. The kid fell to the ground, gathered his books and  scrambled away. Mike looked at me in fury, and his hands were on me the next second. He shoved me to the ground and soon he was leaning over me, his fist connecting with my cheek.