Fallen ice-cream and not minding

GAVIN

It's almost time for dinner when Lily finally returns. She walks past us and flashes Joe a small smile before she disappears up the stairs.

Even though my mind is telling me not to, I still stare after her with longing.

"Oh for the love of God!" I turn to look at Joe who is watching me with disbelief, "You stare after her like a love sick puppy, man. I can see that you like her and it's clear that she likes you too. So why the hell haven't you done something already?"

"I was trying to give her space." Shame and guilt fills my body as I bow my head.

"Space for what? Did you do something to her that she needs space all of a sudden?"

"No..." LIAR, "Well, I did kiss her."

"You did what? When were you going to tell us?" Danny has a big grin plastered on his face.

"What happened then?" Joe's eyes seem t hold a sadness in them, as if he already knows what happened next.

"She pushed me away and said she can't do this. Then she ran out of the room."

"Gavin, listen closely okay?" My ears perk at the serious tone in his voice. "Lily has a rough past and because of that she finds it hard to trust men or even get close to people. So I suggest you tell her how you feel before it is to late."

"I tried to tell her but then this retard interrupted our moment." I point an accusing finger at Max, who is still shoving chips into his face.

"Hey! How was I supposed to know that you were going to tell her that?"

We start laughing at Max trying to talk around the food in his mouth.

"Gavin you just have to tell her. That's the only way she'll know she's safe. But first you need to apologize for last night."

I nod my head once, not able to form any words.

_________________________________________

"Where's the guys?" I look up at Lily who is standing at the staircase.

"They went home after the game. Joe told me to tell you that he will call you later tonight."

"Oh okay." She pushes herself away from the stairs an make her way to the kitchen. "I'm going to make us something to eat."

"Actually, I was hoping we could go out tonight." I say carefully.

Lily stops in her tracks and watch me closely. "I'm not exactly dressed for going out."

I look down at her red sweater and light washed jeans. "Nonsense, you look fine to me."

She hesitates for a moment before smiling. "Okay, just let me grab my scarf and then we can go."

Lily grabs her scarf as I make my way to the front door. I open it for her and she shuffles past me.

Once we are all buckled up I put the car in reverse and turn around. Robert, the gate guard, opens the gate and waves as we drive by.

The drive to the restaurant is quiet but I don't mind because it's a comfortable silence.

When I find a parking space I turn off the car and pull the keys out. Out of the corner of my eye I can see Lily fidgeting. Deciding to blame it on excitement, I get out of the car and move to her side to open her door.

She smiles softly as she gets out of the car. I close the door and we walk side by side to the restaurant's entrance.

The hostess meets us and flashes a bright smile. "Mr. Taylor, it's such a pleasure to have you with us tonight. Do you want your usual table?" I cringe and a sour taste fills my mouth. Lily is oblivious to my discomfort as she looks around the room in awe.