Brother?

Gavin

I wake up to find a wet cloth on my head and to a light humming next to me. I open my eyes and turn them to the source of the humming, which turns out to be Lily, who is rocking slightly back and forth on a rocking chair, reading intently and humming a familiar tune. The bright light coming from the open curtain makes it unbearable to keep my eyes open.

My hand reaches for my head and I pull the cloth off. A low groan escapes me as I try to sit up in the bed. Before I can move any further, a small hand latches onto my shoulder and pushes me back down.

"You need to take it slow." Lily says softly.

She takes the cloth from me and dip it into the bucket next to the bed. The wet sensation feels great as she rubs the cloth carefully across my face. When she's done she folds the cloth in two and place it back on my head.

I don't utter a word. I just stare up at her, watching her care for me. Who would've thought that a sweet, innocent girl like Lily would ever make a cold-hearted bastard like me feel like I'm on cloud nine every time she glances my way? It scares me a lot. The last time I felt like this was... Never! 

I try to think of a time I felt the way I feel with Lily, and I come up empty. Not even when I was with her. This feeling is a totally new zone for me.

"What happened?" I ask.

The last thing I remember was hugging my mom, then feeling the pressure getting too much. I pushed her away and then everything went black. Everything after that is a blank.

Lily stands next to the bed, unsure of what she should do. I scoot over to make space for her ans pat the spot next to me. She smiles and sits down, making herself comfortable. Her hand rubs my knee affectionately.

"Well... You passed out." She states.

I look down at my body and chuckle. "Yeah, I figured." For the first time I take a look around the room. The dark blue paint covering the walls is complimented by the lighter blue of the bed's sheets. The white chair Lily accompanied a few moments ago is slightly rocking back and forth. Next to it is a large white dresser, the doors of it is crooked from years of use. In the far corner of the room is a small desk, on top of it an old computer and a pen holder. Next to the bed is a white bedside table. A black lamp stands on top of it along with a small alarm clock. Right next to it is a glass of water and two tablets.

I glance around the room once more and my heart constricts in my chest when I see a very familiar photograph hanging on the wall. Then it occurs to me...

This is my room!

"How did I get here?" I ask, panicked.

I try to get up again but Lily pushes me back down forcefully. "You need to calm down!" she says, "Gavin, I told you to stay down!" she scolds.

I take a steady breath to try and calm my beating heart, but it doesn't help at all. "How did I get here?" I growl.

She jumps, making me feel like a total ass. "After you fainted, a man came out of the house, along with another woman. He picked you up and brought you here." She starts fumbling with her sweater. "I couldn't understand what they were saying so I just followed them to this room. They said some things but I just couldn't understand them!" 

I watch her carefully and after a moment of silence, I see her shoulders start to shake. She tries to hold it in but violent sniffs escapes from behind her hand. God, now I feel worse. Why do I always mess up the good things in my life? Of course she wouldn't understand what they were saying, they were speaking Spanish! I can't let my frustrations out on her, she didn't know this place brought back bad memories.