✶Sugar✶

English class was quite fun since Peter had decided to come back. Taking the seat beside me, a giant grin plastered on his face. The whole time we were in class, we decided to pass goofy notes to each other. Still taking in the fact that I was sitting next to Peter Pan was a little odd. I mean, he's freaking Peter Pan. How was I supposed to react to a boy who revealed all this to me at three in the morning?

All day long my feet groggily dragged behind me. Noticing how tired I was, Peter felt guilty for waking me up so he decided to do something to make up for his midnight extravaganza: He insisted on taking me out for ice cream this afternoon. Seeing that ice cream was one of my favorite delights, he knew there was no way I could reject the offer.

Meeting up at the front of an ice cream parlor, we walked in and were swiftly seated at a booth. Though I had insisted on getting cones and leaving, he insisted that we sit down and chat over milkshakes.

The little parlor itself looked like it froze in past eras when life seemed much simpler than it is today. Portraits of Elvis and Marilyn Monroe lined the diner along with a photo of the hosts and cookers dressed up like the Grease cast. A little chrome jukebox sat in the corner of the room, beckoning me to press every single red button that was built into the hunky music box.

"What are you getting?" Peter asked, his green eyes curiously peering up at me as he laid his head on the table.

"Chocolate milkshake," I replied, sending him a duckface. Staring at my protruded lips, a giggle erupted from his chest.

"But vanilla is so much better," He teased.

"No, definitely chocolate."

"But marshmallows are vanilla flavored," he stated matter-of-factly.

"Dude, you know that there are chocolate ones too, right?"

"There are?" He asked, a puzzled look taking over his face.

Nodding yes, he blankly stared at me. "Peter, there are strawberry ones too. Dude, you must be spending way too much time in Neverland."

Crossing his arms over his chest, his eyebrow went up, "You really want to go there today Laney?"

"Yes, I do," I said, sticking my nose in the air.

"So sassy," he said, shaking his head back and forth.

"Hey, who ya calling-"

"Hi! I'm Melissa and I'll be your server today! What can I get for you?"

Peter smiled at the teenaged girl and I'm pretty sure I saw her melt into a puddle before him. Seriously, what was with this girl?

"I'll take a vanilla milkshake, extra sprinkles," he said, jokingly glaring at me.

"And I'll have a chocolate milkshake with two cherries," I tested. Sending him a smirk, he let out a gasp which made Melissa look at us like we were absolutely crazy.

"I'll be back right away," she replied while still staring at us like we were insane.

"Wow, what a rebel. Two cherries? You're a total thug," he joked.

Playfully nudging his arm that was on the table, I laughed. "Shut up!"

"We should do this more often," he replied. "It's fun."

Blushing, he noticed the weird look I gave him and began to stutter over his words. "But y-y-you know, it totally like makes me feel all jittery-I mean like it-," he sighed. "It was just a suggestion," he said, nervously avoiding eye contact.

Was he indirectly asking me on a date? Why did he just turn tomato red before me?

"You okay?" I asked, sending him a concerned look. Turning even more red, I wondered if I should call the ambulance. If he turned any more red, he'd catch on fire.

"T-t-totally."

A giggle escaped my lips. My goodness, the boy was so nervous! Putting a hand through his hair, his eyes locked with mine. My stomach twisted and flopped in weird ways that I've never experienced before. My goodness, was I equally as nervous as he was right now? What was this feeling?

"So what's Neverland like?" I asked, breaking the awkward silence that was lingering between us.

"Busy, so busy that I barely have time to breathe sometimes."

"Really?"

He nodded, "Yeah. It gets quite hectic up there. Being down here is a relief sometimes."

"Really? You think so? Sometimes, I wish I could be somewhere else. I'd kill to switch places with you."

"Why?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Because then maybe I'd actually fit in," I said, looking down at the cold table. "Maybe I'd have a place up there."

Placing a hand on top of mine, his eyes interlocked with mine. Looking intently into his green eyes, words could not manage to form within my mouth.

"Laney, you most definitely have a place down here. Don't ever think you are less than anyone else."

"But Peter, sometimes I feel like no one sees me, ya know? Like I wasn't supposed to exist in the first place..."

"Why would you even think that? Laney, you are such an amazing person!"

"How so?"

"Are you kidding me? Where do I begin?" He asked, taking his hand off of mine. "First off, you're so smart! You basically live in your schoolbooks! Most people would kill to have the grades you do! Plus, you're super artistic. I see some of those doodles you do in your notebooks when you get bored. Don't think those go unnoticed," he said, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Ah, there's that pretty smile," he said, which made my smile turn even bigger. Butterflies roamed around freely in my stomach, making me feel fuzzy inside.

"And those are only two great things about you. There's plenty more," he said, as he glanced at Melissa coming over with our milkshakes.

As she placed them on the table, he hungrily licked his lips. "Bon appetit."

© Lightning_Stryker 2016