05: Ebony Illusions

It was four minutes past midnight as I laid on my soft mattress and sulked out the window. The creak of my door startled me, as it was unexpected until I saw Finnegan's emerald eyes roaming my darkened room.

"Hey," I unenthusiastically greeted. Taking this as a sign that it was okay for him to come inside, he quietly shut the door behind him and took soft steps in.

He uttered an emotionless "Hey." With a nod of his head, my attention averted back out the window.

"Look, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about earlier. I shouldn't have-"

"Don't worry about it," I uttered, turning my body to face him as he took a seat on a crate against the opposite wall. "You were right."

Confusion danced within his green irises. "I'm sorry, did you just say what I think you did? That I'm actually right?"

The kid's sense of humor managed to make me smile. "Yeah, you were. I think a break would be good at this point and time but please Finny, just let me go on with my job. Who else is going to help save the world?"
Finn placed his hands on his knees and shook his head. "I'm pretty sure they're able to handle themselves. They inhabit a whole planet for crying out loud. And has it exploded yet?"

Staring at him with widened eyes, we both couldn't help but to burst out laughing. "Finn! You can't just say stuff like that dude!"

He shrugged. "But it hasn't, right? Which again proves that they are able to handle themselves. You need to be able to handle yourself as well. And you should have the right to quit when you need a mental break."

As an awkward silence danced between the two of us, a light sigh came out of Finn. "You look like you're down in the dumps. Do you want to go practice flying with me?"

Raising an eyebrow at his offer, he was nearly bouncing out of his seat as his button eyes slightly widened in anticipation. As much as I felt bad for having to pass on his offer, I didn't want my glum mood to ruin his day. "Maybe some other time? I'm still trying to settle in and stuff and-"

He nodded, doing his best to hide the obvious signs of disappointment on his face. "Oh, okay. I just thought you needed something to take your mind off those thoughts."

"Thanks thought. I appreciate it. I know I haven't been around much to play with you, but I promise I'll go flying with you before I have to take off again."

His eyes lit up so bright that they put the stars themselves to shame. "Seriously?"

Pulling my feet up to my chest, my head nodded in response. "Of course! Why would I not?"

He fiddled with the leather bracelet that was wrapped around his wrist. "Well, you're always busy and I feel like I'm a bother when I ask you...," He trailed off, careful to avoid my gaze.

And then was when I realized that not only was I suffering from my duties, but Finnegan Pan was as well. He was growing up in a confusing world, a world that prohibits us from feeling emotions that came natural to the bodies that we had. He was growing up in a world where he barely saw his older brother, the only person that he could truly share his innermost thoughts with. No wonder Finn seemed so confused, so lost. Because within the month I was gone, he needed me. He needed my guidance and my advice. Within the time I was gone, Finn had doubts and questions regarding his flying and life in general. So while I was away attending to my duties, there was so much that I was missing within my household.

We were two souls who were secretly fighting for freedom from the rules that bound and contained us, and yet Finn found himself drowning while I constantly fled away to Earth.