✶Shimmer✶

Daytime sadness passed into nighttime madness and at the strike of midnight I knew that every single moment I ever shared with him would be reversed. Checking the time on my phone, I saw that it was 11:26. Biting my lip, I turned away from him. I couldn't let him see the devastation written on my face. A burning sensation built up in my stomach, tingling in a sad kind of nervousness. My breathing became uneven and I couldn't help but want to break down crying every single time I looked him in the eye. In about a half hour, he would be nothing but a memory in the shadows.

"Guess it's time to clean up. I'll walk you home one last time," he said as he picked up our picnic area.

"Stop saying that," I harshly replied. Noticing the bitterness in my tone, he quickly glanced over at me. Nervously breaking his gaze, he let out a long sigh. As he took off, I reluctantly followed him to my house.

The walk home was mostly silence and was perhaps the most awkward moment we had ever shared. We both simultaneously drowned in unsaid thoughts and in our own sorrow. I had no idea how he felt, but I knew that I would never forget this boy who had taught me so much about myself in such a little amount of time. I would never forget the boy who taught me to live freely and the boy who taught me to love myself for who I was.

Glossy-eyed, he stared at the saddened expression on my face, " Well we're here at your wonderful doorstep."

" I don't want to be here," I replied, a tear rolling down my face.

"I have six minutes Laney, so I would just like to take the time to say thank you for everything you've done for me."

"Me?" I asked, pointing to myself. "What have I ever done for you?"

A sorrowful smile crept up on his face. "You've made me feel like a real person, like I had a real heart, a real friend. You know this job can be a bit stressful, so thank you for making me feel human once again."

"But aren't you human?" I curiously asked as I raised a brow.

He chuckled, "Of course I am. However, that often gets overlooked when you're Peter Pan."

"Well Peter Pan, I have to say that I've grown quite fond of you. I'm going to miss you dear friend," I said as I approached him. Wrapping my arms around his torso, he was taken by surprise. As realization finally dawned on him, his firm arms wrapped around my smaller frame. Embracing each other in sorrowful sadness, we stood there for a few seconds until he jumped up.

"Oh, I almost forgot! I got a present for you!" Pulling something out of his pocket, it's thin chain glistened in the moonlight. Gently placing the item in my hand, I examined it. It was a necklace that had a little bottle attached to it. Within the bottle, grains of glitter shimmered and glistened.

"Oh Peter, I love it! Thank you so much! Can you help me put it on?"

He smiled. "I thought you would like it. It's simple, but I wanted to leave you a little gift." Taking the necklace, he walked behind me and sealed its clasp. "There you go! It looks like it was made just for you."

Giggling, he came to face me. "Well on that note, I have one minute until departure. It was very nice to meet you Laney. I do hope that our paths cross again sometime in the near future."

As my inner emotions seeped outward, a frown formed on my face. " Hey Peter?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you think you'll remember me?"

As he smiled, his silhouette began to fade into a golden shimmer. "How would I ever be able to forget you?"

My heart dropped at the sight before me. Throughout the whole day, this had been the one event that I was regretting to ever experience. Now as I was experiencing it, my heart held a heaviness that was incomparable to anything else I had ever felt in my life. Taking one last glance at his golden silhouette, I noticed a tear trickle down from his face. As he disappeared from all of reality, my eyes seeped tears and my mouth whispered the four words that I had been ever so terrified to utter beforehand.

"Peter, I love you."

But it was too late. Peter was no longer here, Peter no longer existed. Wishing he was still here, I groggily dragged myself to my bedroom. As I changed into my pajamas, I laid in my bed and thought of him. Remembering the smile he shot me through his golden shimmer, I fell into a slumber hoping and praying that our paths would one day cross again.

END OF BOOK 1

© Lightning_Stryker 2016