Chapter Nine

"Brian's not a bad guy. But you don't need me to tell you that." Sal's voice entered the prop room before he did. Jackie turned in time to see him close the door and lean against it.

She glanced at her watch. The meeting had taken three hours. She had wondered if she should worry about the fact that the guys had been behind closed doors for so long.

"Is this where you tell me not to be the same as all the other women he's dated?" Jackie crossed her arms in front of her.

She had to admit that the way she had overreacted this afternoon probably made her look weak. She also hoped that the guys knew her well enough to know her reaction was completely out of character. There was a connection between Brian and herself that went much deeper than emotional. They were physically connected now and that added a level of concern that she hadn't previously thought through.

"Hell, Jackie, if anyone knows you're not like them, it's me." He stood up straight and looked around the neatly organized room. "This is where I tell you that you are exactly what he needs in his life. And that maybe he doesn't exactly know what he has in you, so just give him a few chances to figure it out."

"He's rusty in the relationship department?" She laughed at Sal's attempt to help his friend.

"Just know he's going to fuck up, Jacks. We all do. It comes along with the job. There's long hours, days on the road, women constantly throwing themselves at us and crazy stalker fans." Sal's face was serious and it made the smile on Jackie's disappear. "Tonight's one of those nights that he might not know exactly how to handle. Give him a break, ok?"

The concern on Sal's face made Jackie's heart swell. These guys would do anything to keep their friends safe. It was a bond that few people in the world ever experienced. She was honored to be a part of it. She also knew that Sal coming to her like this meant he was rooting for her and Brian to work out.

"Thank you, Sal. For caring so much about him. I promise to commit one hundred percent to this relationship."

Before she could ask him about the meeting, the door to the prop room swung open, almost hitting Sal, and Brian walked in. The scowl on his face told her he wasn't in the mood to talk.

"I'm ready when you are." His voice boomed and sent a small shudder up her spine.

Sal caught her eye and raised his eyebrows. She knew what it meant.

"Good talk." She rubbed Sals arm as she walked by. "I'm ready now." Jackie reached out for Brian's hand and squeezed it tight, letting him know she understood.

She glanced back over her shoulder and saw Sal smile. As she let Brian lead her from the room, she realized she wasn't just fighting to make her relationship with him work. Her friendships with the other guys were also on the line.

********************************************************************

"I forgot I have a thing tonight." Brian said as they stepped off the elevator.

"Oh." Jackie didn't let the disappointment reach her face. "It's fine. I, um, have a thing too." She tried to cover.

"What kind of thing?" Brian stopped and tilted his head as he waited for her to answer.

"Um..." She tried to think of something but drew a blank. "Ok, I don't have a thing." She sighed.

"I knew you didn't." He laughed for the first time since the meeting had been completed. "I'm recording with Bry and Walt."

Of course. She knew they recorded their podcast weekly.

"I just didn't want you to think I was disappointed." She confessed.