Chapter Nineteen

Brian scowled at the men with cameras waiting for Jackie by the front door of the clinic.

"How do they know when you're going to be here?" He asked.

"I don't know for sure, but I think one of the nurses has been tipping them off." Jackie half grinned and half frowned.

"This is ridiculous." He shook his head, the lines on his face deepening with anger.

"Brian, could you not say anything to them? Let's just be happy to be here together." Jackie spoke softly.

His face relaxed as he looked at her. His frown was replaced with a genuine smile.

"Yeah, I can do that."

He walked around to Jackie's side of the jeep and helped her out. They'd managed to take a few steps away from the jeep before the guys caught on to who they were. They'd become so used to Jackie coming to the visits on her own, that seeing Brian must have temporarily stunned them.

It didn't take them long to regain their composure and realize they were looking at a million dollar photograph. The camera's were flashing again and the questions were hurled all at once.

"Are the two of you back together?"

"Brian is this your baby?"

"Why did you split up?"

"What can we expect from your relationship from here on out?"

"Is there anything you want to say?"

"One quick picture of the baby bump and the proud father?"

Brian kept a firm grip on Jackie's hand, pulling her closely behind him. He smiled the entire time, knowing that the pictures would be circulated with a reconciliation story in no time. He wanted the picture to show how happy this day made him.

He opened the door and let Jackie pass through before he walked in behind her.

"I'm sorry about that." He said.

"Brian, stop apologizing for it. I know it's not your fault." She squeezed his hand.

Jackie signed in and the two took a seat in the back of the waiting room. Brian didn't let go of her hand and he couldn't stop looking at her.

"What?" She grinned at him when she realized he was staring.

"Thank you." He kissed the top of her hand. "For letting me have another chance."

"Thank you for wanting another chance." She stole a quick peck from his lips and then leaned back in the chair.

Brian was drawn to her baby bump again, and couldn't keep his hands off of it.

"It's amazing, isn't it? That there are two tiny babies growing in there." He gently caressed he stomach as he spoke.

"It's the most precious thing in the world." Jackie placed her hand on top of his.

"Jacklyn Landry." The nurse called her name and she stood.

"You can come too." Jackie reached out for Brian's hand and lead him through the door with her.

"The doctor will be in in just a few minutes for the ultrasound." The nurse closed the door, leaving them alone.

"I'm warning you, I cry every time I see their tiny heartbeats." Jackie confessed.

As Brian tried to wrap his head around the idea of seeing the babies on the screen, the doctor knocked and entered the room.

"We may be able to see the sexes today. Do you want to know them?" The doctor asked as she prepared the ultrasound machine.